Paypal limits and verification

Options
My paypal acc has kindly just told me I need to get it verified as my recent purchase exceeds the limit (by £4).

What it the best course of action I can take whilst waiting for the verification process to complete?

I've already e-mailed her and explained the problem but I've just bought a mobile phone, and the seller may think i'm trying to mess them about.

Should I offer part payment?
It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Could you offer to send her a cheque or postal order instead?
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • smartie1976
    smartie1976 Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Options
    Their listing states paypal only (verified).
    They've replied and luckily are understanding about my position and are happy to wait.

Why is paypal always such a pain in the @rse!!!
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
  • Sugar_Coated_Owl
    Options
    Being verified is for your own safety. You could have verified yourself at any point, so it's not really PayPal's fault that you have left it until you've reached your limit.
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
  • smartie1976
    Options
    Thanks for your sympathetic ear :rolleyes:

I simply didn't realise that I was close to the limit. However, it would have been nice if Paypal sent occasional messages saying "you are £100 off your limit" or something similar as a reminder. When you first set up paypal (over a year ago in my case), the last thing you think of is of getting close to the limit and it affecting your buying potential. I usually only buy items valued £1-2. And quite frankly, I am skeptical about the safety of Paypal in the long run.

And If I choose not to get verified when I set it up surely that's my look out, isn't it.

• Sugar_Coated_Owl
    Options
    If you choose not to get verified then surely you can't expect PayPal to let you continue to use it.

Why did you bid on an auction that requires you to be PayPal verified when you aren't. Buyers who don't read auctions properly really annoys me. I spend a lot of time trying to ensure that all relevant information is there in the listings and then you get buyers who just don't read it.

• Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm really angry with paypal atm. They asked me to set up a bank account etc for verification, I did all this before Christmas. I've bought two items since then for £14 and £5.20. I've gone to buy something today on Buy It Now and it's now saying I've gone over my sending limit and need to get verified:confused: . So for you to say :

Why did you bid on an auction that requires you to be PayPal verified when you aren't. Buyers who don't read auctions properly really annoys me. I spend a lot of time trying to ensure that all relevant information is there in the listings and then you get buyers who just don't read it.:

isn't fair in some cases! I've done everything they've asked but still they can't get it right! As for trying to contact them after holding on an 0870 number for six minutes I've given up:mad: .
  • Sugar_Coated_Owl
    Options
    Did you actually complete the verification, by entering the expanded use numbers?

If you genuinely think that you are verified and bid on an auction that requires you to be verified then that's a different story. The OP was not PayPal verified and still bid and then went on to say that it's his/her choice if they decide to get verified.

• smartie1976
    Options
    I seem to recall also trying to get verified soon after I signed up. I waited for the mythical amounts to be paid into my bank but nothing.

I refused to ring them and waste my money chasing up something that was their fault.

I actually thought my acc WAS verified because I had submitted my bank details and started the process when I signed up.

• Sugar_Coated_Owl
    Options
    And If I choose not to get verified when I set it up surely that's my look out, isn't it.
    I actually thought my acc WAS verified because I had submitted my bank details and started the process when I signed up.

You've just contradicted yourself there.

I've completed the expanded use number verification on my debit card and also on credit cards and never had a problem. The amounts have always been deposited just like they said.

If you want to continue using PayPal then you will have to call them to find out why the amounts aren't showing up.

• Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I had given entered the expanded numbers etc.etc.
    Still I have now, after again ringing the 0870 number :mad:, managed to actually speak to someone, who was very nice and helpful. We have established that something has gone wrong and she apologied. Anyway as I had bid on a BIN item, she suggested I opened a new account, paid with a different card and I would get a new amount limit to be spent i.e. £250.
    In the meantime if I need to get verified (I've only ever put on and sold four items) I shall have to start the process all over again. Unless I am going to be a big seller I don't think I need to become verified do I? :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure