DVLA / Inter-credit Fine

Options

Comments

• TaneFace
    Options
    Hi All, I just joined, as my daughter received a letter from ICL re: a car which is untaxed/licensed , which was sold 14, Yes,(fourteen) yrs ago. The car is now 30 yrs old. (a classic) ! Firstly we cannot remember if she was the registered keeper or her older sister as she was not 17 by the time we sold it. It is addressed to her in her maiden name at her present address, she has been married twice since and changed her name, and never lived there under her maiden name. They are only asking for 80 quid !!! I took the letter to the Police and they laughed. Need I say more "get serious ICL"
  • Schnorbitz_2
    Options
    A long time since I've posted on MSE.

Here's a new one for this thread. I've received the £80 notice from Inter-Credit to my address, to a different person with the same first and surname as me, but with a different middle name, a car I've never owned and a previous address I've never lived at.

Just about to send my second letter back to Inter-Credit (and my first letter to DVLA after an email from them) informing them of their error.

Has this happened to anyone else?
    I am a trainee actuary, and really enjoy talking about pensions, economics and my job. But I suppose I should point out that all replies are for information or discussion only, and shouldn't be taken as advice: everyone's circumstances and pension schemes will be different.
  • 1940sGal
    1940sGal Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    Options
    Glad I've found this thread. Today a letter came through for my Dad (who no longer lives at this address) claiming similar to the OP. Demanding £80 for a motorbike he owned a few years ago. He sold said bike, though I don't know who to. But I do know he filled in and sent back the V5.

I love how they say 'As you have ignored all previous letters'. There have been no previous letters!

Am I alone in also wondering exactly what this supposed fine is for? It says
    "The intended action will be made in accordance with Section 7A of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994. Please be aware that you are (or you may be) also contravening Section 31A of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 which commands a minimum fine of £1,000 if convicted."

Now I know I can look up online what that means but without that ability it's just gobbledygook. How the heck am I to know by that what I'm being fined for? There are plenty of people who will be scared by this, not know what it is and pay it out of fear. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, it's thanks to MSE that I've come to know that you shouldn't take these sorts of letters at face value. This thread came up the moment I googled the debt agency's name. And now I'll write a letter to them thanks to the advice given here. Not sure when I'll see Dad again but I'll be speaking to him soon about it.
  • penfold2013
    Options
    My Partner just received two of these debt recovery notices from inter-Credit International.
    Interestingly she has neither owned a car or possessed a driving licence.
    We assume that it is a scam. She is going to ask around her work place (FSA) what do to do and if it is legitimate.
  • Dafty99
    Options
    Schnorbitz

The same thing happened to me. I received a letter from ICI relating to a car i have never owned, to an address I have never lived at. I called DVLA to explain the simple mistake only to be told that because my name was the same as the addressee and the dates of birth matched, it must be me. DVLA then said they would put me through to ICI to discuss and promptly put me through to a dead line. I am currently drafting a letter which will be slightly more terse than I had originally planned. I am being made to feel guilty for having quite a common name and a popular birth date. Grrrr
  • redboy1
    redboy1 Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've, had one of these lovely letters. Has anyone ignored these letters and actually been took to court?
  • borntoday
    Options
    I am happy to go to court with the DVLA. Just had the same done to me.
  • malnine
    Options
    Very Rude and quite aggressive.
  • muddyflumplepants
    Options
    we've had a second letter from Inter-Credit today, worded badly. But, following some great advise and experience in this thread, we've written to them saying that we do not want to take up their offer, and that we're dealing directly with the DVLA in this dispute. We'll advise them in due course what is decided..

We've also written a second letter to the DVLA (a department who are not contactable by phone at this stage in proceedings) telling them that yes, it does appear they lost our change of address form - but considering the drivers licence and second car details got through, plus the debt collection bullies found us, couldn't they have been more proactive. We've also told them to release the case so we can continue to sorn the car .

When we get (if we get) responses, I'll keep you posted - interesting to see what actions people can take...

:)
  • anotherbaldrick
    anotherbaldrick Posts: 2,335 Forumite
    Options
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure