We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

New to Saving with ING direct

Options

Comments

• MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    I was a former Kaupthing customer and my fixed rate savings was taken over ING. I am getting 7.6% for the next 2 years so I will be staying put!

Also I am always receiving offers from ING. The latest one was recommend a friend and they will credit me with £25.00 and the person I recommend with the equivalent amount. The person I recommended opened an instant access account with £1.00 and his account was credited with the free money.

Personally speaking I have done quite well by them.
  • sagalout1954
    sagalout1954 Posts: 418 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Rabbitx - why don't you move your ING dosh to a First Direct fixed rate a/c, paying 3.1% fixed for 1 year but you can make an unlimited number of withdrawals during that time penalty free - one of the few fixed rates which don't actually lock your money in for the term of the 'fix' (you can also keep paying more in if you want to)
    Also, Halifax have a similar one paying 3%, again fixed for 1 year but you can make 4 penalty free withdrawals during that time (again, you can add to it too).
    Personally, we got our fingers burned with Icesave (thankfully this government came to the UK savers rescue), and almost got them burned with Kaupthing Edge at the same time. As soon as ING stepped in there we whipped our money out, I'm not putting my dosh anywhere that isn't protected by the FSCS.
  • savetilibleed
    savetilibleed Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 May 2009 at 6:08PM
    Options
    Also, Halifax have a similar one paying 3%, again fixed for 1 year but you can make 4 penalty free withdrawals during that time (again, you can add to it too).
    Is that not their ISA Direct Reward to which you refer? Which means that if it is fully subscribed to (or any other ISA elsewhere) in the current year, anything you withdraw cannot be replaced in that year. I have opened one as it happens and am transferring some money to it.

But I did only chose that one in case of emergencies I can withdraw, in which case I probably wouldn't be able to replace the money withdrawn anyway. Mind you, as yet I haven't subscribed this year and maybe won't/can't.
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    This morning I have spent up to now two hours wondering where to put our instant savings, ie we use them for needing money quickly, and saving up for bills.

Have been with Ing since the first day they started years ago, our interest is 0.5%, have just phoned them complaining about loyal customers and new customers, hmmm.

Having read page after page after page of Google and on here about various options, it seems we shall have to open a new account with someone to get the best rates.

How safe is putting all your private info into an internet form? In the past have always filled forms in and sent them off, and done it by telephone which you can do with Ing. That is the only thing going for it, dead easy to use, and by phone in and out of your current account, ours is Nat West.

If anyone has any good offers where we can do by telephone and not net, please can you tell us, just off to look at the Yorkshire!!

We always end up reading MSE always the best place to come,
    many thanks, oap ps we are not talking thousands of pounds, just up to two thousand.

We are non taxpayers
  • sagalout1954
    sagalout1954 Posts: 418 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Just been poncing about on another thread and realised I'd been waffling in your thread about First Direct and Halifax and referring to ISA's which you've already subscribed to for this year I gather. Silly me!
    Thanks Savetilibleed for spotting my error to. I'm going for a lie down in a dark room (or a padded one).:silenced:
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I was just looking at rates and it seems lloyds offer a higher rate for one of their current accounts then ing offer on savings and thats with ecb rate higher then boe
  • savetilibleed
    savetilibleed Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    I was just looking at rates and it seems lloyds offer a higher rate for one of their current accounts then ing offer on savings and thats with ecb rate higher then boe
    That's if you can pay >£1000 into the account every month and keep >£7000 in credit.
  • meko102
    meko102 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    i enjoy saving with INGDirect, they may not be covered under the British compensation scheme but they are covered under the Dutch which offers a higher level of compensation. Yes thier rates may not be brilliant but who has a high rate on an instand access account with no catches, fees etc. In the current finanal world no oneis going to get a very high rate im just happy my money is safe.
  • Geoffo_M
    Geoffo_M Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    Options
    meko102 wrote: »
    i enjoy saving with INGDirect, they may not be covered under the British compensation scheme but they are covered under the Dutch which offers a higher level of compensation. Yes thier rates may not be brilliant but who has a high rate on an instand access account with no catches, fees etc. In the current finanal world no oneis going to get a very high rate im just happy my money is safe.

You've lost me here. You begin by saying you enjoy saving with ING, and then go on to describe what's bad about them. You say that there are no catches with them, but they are continually jiggling with their rates, and introducing new deals that are not available to existing customers. What exactly do you enjoy about them?
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That's if you can pay >£1000 into the account every month and keep >£7000 in credit.
    and theres another that gives 2.5% for smaller amounts also, not bad for a normal current account
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport