We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The 9 year plan...hold onto your hats and here we go!

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm giuessing that telling you that Mum got hers for free for joining British Gas might not be terribly helpful?! Possible of more value might be THIS LINK - beware though - I don;t know if that's the cheapest you can get them!

Hmmm....it's made me think I want one now! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • kissjenn
    kissjenn Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Me too. Pity they don't make them more owlly cartoon_owl.gif

I've switched off the heating and turned the boiler way down so gas usage is getting very low.

Electricity is still huge, it would be good to see where it goes but we have lights burning everywhere because of OHs blindness - day and night he needs them. We really need 100w bulbs because 60w just doesnt cut it. And slow start-up bulbs are a disaster. If anyone has any great ideas please throw them this way :D
    :A Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Marcel Proust :A
  • Scottishmummy
    Scottishmummy Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Lemon_Tree wrote: »
    I mean the heating doesn't go on till Nov, goes off in March and we don't have hot water as everything heats from cold, so the tank just kept reheating itself.

That's good going. I tryyyy and follow 'short shirt order' - a term I learned when I was in the TA. It basically means uniform is short sleeved shirts from 1st May to 1st October. I try to not have the heating on at all during those months. We sometimes manage it but last year was so awful i think we had heating on occassionally even during July and August. There are always fleece blankets on the back of the couch and my computer chair so if I feel cold i just wrap one around me.

I must get a spreadsheet up and running again. DH is now keeping a spending diary so it should be possible to track everything now.
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh lord I want one of those owls too. I fear that OH will really think I've gone mad after all the talk of spreadsheets I keep chucking at him and now owls lol. Might research the price a bit more.
  • Jo_R_2
    Jo_R_2 Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    Options
    LOL I want an owl! Having said that one thing I have a steely determination towards is using as littl electricity as possible - although having an 'owl' I fear would move me onto something bordering obsessive!
    Dealing with my debts!
    Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
    balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
    Now @ 703.63
  • Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have a horrible feeling that having an owl might encourage any obsessive behaviour that I might have tucked away. I can see myself up at three in the morning to check usage....
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• boredofbeingathome
    Options
    I want one too, would totally love obsessing over it . More money in our pockets and i reckon it would soon pay for itself.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Piquant wrote: »
    I have a horrible feeling that having an owl might encourage any obsessive behaviour that I might have tucked away. I can see myself up at three in the morning to check usage....

Not just me then?:rotfl::rotfl:
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Not just me then?:rotfl::rotfl:

I thought it was just me that was a compulsive obsessive :rotfl:nice to know there's a few of us around!
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    my owl was 'free' when i fixed my energy costs till October. But i do sit here and obsess about things being turned on but then i was always obsessed about leccy. We're in a ground floor 1 bed flat and our DD is £47 yet we currently owe £150. We have storage heaters hence being mean with the heating, what annoys me so much is that despite the cost we're still pretty cold most of the time so have blankets and a calor gas heater as well. What bugs me is we rarely have the tumbler on, the heating is useless and our leccy bill was still £300 for the worst three winter months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure