PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• HowlinWolf
    HowlinWolf Posts: 498 Forumite
    evening everyone. I thought it was about time I posted an update. After the big Mr S online shop, small in store shop with Mr S and a shop at L!dl I can report the we have £75.04 left from our £350 budget. The milkman has been paid and there is still a little left in the tin either to pay the window cleaner or put towards the next 2 weeks milk.

The £75.04 does not include the £30 for the babysitter so actually we have £105.04 left from the shopping budget if we need it as dp and I will pay £15 each for the babysitter and put it back in the kitty. There is plenty food in the house and nappies and toiletries etc so I think we are doing quite well. I shall go and catch up with the thread now!
    Sealed pot member 735
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011
    GC 2011 404.92/2400
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Frugalswan, I think clutterydraw summed it up pretty well.

I am fortunate not to have any debt however having just gone through a period of redundancy and only being 3 months into a new job I have a similar view that I still wish to be savvy where I can be without denying myself so that I can save and/or spend where I choose without any guilt.

Thanks to discovering this site around 3 years ago I now have a small 'nest egg'. Not a huge amount but for someone who never saved it helped me through my period of unemployment so I totally agree that you should have a balanced approach to spending v saving. None of us know what is around the corner.
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • orchid-96
    orchid-96 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Just popped on to update my sig...my plan to avoid my shop till tomorrow didn't pan out!! I really had to get out of the house yesterday for a while after the morning I had with my lot :rolleyes: anyway was already planning to get the aldi super 6 so though I may as well pick up any bits that are good there too...

So spen £22.01 but did do pretty well, am going to meal plan today to keep any more shopping this week to an absolute minimum...

Hope everyone is having a good weekend
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • afternoon all,

spent about £25 this week, overall.

have a recipe for you all, Pea & Ham Soup

which even my fussy hubby loved!!

cooked two ham hocks (from morry's) in the slow cooker til the meat fell of the bones.
    soaked the marrowfat peas (500g bag) over night then cooked according to instructions.
    drained the peas, fried two chopped red onions, added 4 small chopped carrots and a little garlic. added peas and enough chook stock to just cover the veg.
    cooked for 30 mins (ish) and then blitzed up, ready to serve with chopped up ham sprinkled on top!

enjoy

ioiwe
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Hi GUys,

20 days left and I am determined not to go over budget this month (need to pull it back have been going way off course last few months) feeling comfortable at present as every cupboard I have is bulging with food but may not be so chipper later in month. Can anyone tell me if there is a thread with contents of of pantry to cook with or along those lines? Oh well happy weekend peeps.Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Helloo,
    Having a grumpy day today! Nothing is going to plan....
    Have managed to finish off a few jobs in the garden, got plenty more to do indoors though..grr
    Made a loaf of bread, sorted and cleaned up kitchen, so I have done a little.
    Seem to be lacking in motivation.... any tips?
    So far a NSD!!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • clayremonkey
    clayremonkey Posts: 25 Forumite
    Hi All.

I started my month on Wednesday 6th and have only been to the shops once since then. I do however have some things left over from last month. I have spent £20.55 on food so far out of £200. I dont know how to do a signature so can't update mine!!

C
    May Grocery Challenge £121.93/£200 :j
    June Grocery Challenge £48.69/£200
  • ellemm
    ellemm Posts: 11,262 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Helloo,
    Having a grumpy day today! Nothing is going to plan....
    Have managed to finish off a few jobs in the garden, got plenty more to do indoors though..grr
    Made a loaf of bread, sorted and cleaned up kitchen, so I have done a little.
    Seem to be lacking in motivation.... any tips?
    So far a NSD!!

How about........accept you have done some stuff, pour a glass of your preferred tipple, put feet up and read a good book!!

I feel a bit the same today, did so much cooking and cleaning yesterday feel like a day off today but still hoping to get into the garden (between torrential downpours here) and plant some potatoes.

Hope your day improves!
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Well have no motivation today, just feel totally wiped out.
    Went shopping yesterday with DS bought a load of junk food inc lots of basic chocolate for baking brownies etc for his birthday party next week, also bought three bottle of wine naughty i know. Will need to buy crisps etc but generally think i got most of it sorted.

Haven't been out today, the rain attacked so i thought no way am i going out. Need eggs but i might wait till tomorrow to buy them.

Make some rhubarb jam today, tasted some of the remains and it was lush.
    Going to give a jar to my nice who supplied the rhubarb.

Well off to make kiwi fruit jam and put another loaf in for tomorrows pack lunches.

Bye all x
  • Went to Morrisons today for my usual Sunday shop which was just £16.66. I went late-ish last week (about 1:30) and they had no cheap chickens left so I went to 10am when the opened today and they had plenty left and also 12 x Value Yorkshire Puddings for 40+p, which I didn't even know existed as they must all be sold out when I usually go!

Also discovered they do value sliced white bread at 38p per loaf - another discovery that must be sold out by the time I usually go as I have never seen it before.

My trolley was just a pile of yellow value stuff today LOL.

Also saved money by buying a big bottle of perfectly clear flavoured water (77p) to decant into an empty 500ml bottle for eldest DS for school. They didn't have the usual stuff we get, which is 97p for four bottles.

So, I'm up on my target but I shouldn't need to go for another couple of days at least.
    Start Date: 27/11/2010
    Padding: Day 42
    Target £8000
    Amount: £562.23
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business