We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Clean hands after gardening?

Options
I posted on her a few days ago to say my son had managed to get a gardening job for the summer and ask for ideas about his what type of footwear to sort out for him. Everyone that replied had good advice and the shoes are now sorted out.

Thanks for that.

My next question is, whether there is something that gardeners know about that is good to get soil/grass/etc stains off your hands.

Might appear to be a bit of a daft question, but I would imagine as with all hobbies/jobs there are a few ticks of the trade that arent always obvious to others.

Something that isnt too expensive would be great.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

Comments

• elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This isn't a specific gardening tip, I use it with paint after decorating etc but he could wash his hands using a scrub. Any body scrubs that you have lying about the house would work well or use a bit of hand soap and a bit of sugar or sand. It'll help to get the dirt out of the ridges in his fingerprints etc.
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i just use soap and a nailbrush (cheap one) tbh... I get a good lather up with the soap and make sure I wash my hands (and arms) thoroughly and then use the nailbrush on my nails (and gently on any stubborn marks on my skin). Hands always come up clean...

I also have an outside tap set over a sink so I keep some soap there in an old orange net (you know.. the ones you get over fruit or onions) - i find the netting helps get stubborn stains off and was free too!
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Try sticking your finger nails into some soap BEFORE you go gardening........it will stop the dirt getting into them.

Then lather up as per Yategirl afterwards, scrubbing your nails with a nailbrush & they should be sparkling!
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    If you don't want muck down your nails, scrape them on a bar of dry soap to get some down the nails. Scrub out beautifully when you've done.

Also use a good hand cream regularly and before you start. This will stop drying of the hands and act in part as a barrier cream. Vaseline in good if you don't mind a bit of grease, or are wearing gloves for a bit.

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    Try sticking your finger nails into some soap BEFORE you go gardening........it will stop the dirt getting into them.

Then lather up as per Yategirl afterwards, scrubbing your nails with a nailbrush & they should be sparkling!

Great minds!

See OP, it must work :rotfl:

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    Gloves? If normal gardening gloves are too bulky then how about CSI-type gloves? They sell them in Lakeland or sometimes in the car section of supermarkets. Or you can usually find badly-fitting ones in pound shops!
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to work in a soils lab, and the only way of really getting the dirt out is to do the washing up every night. Everything else just dries your hands out - so if you do start using anything MOISTURISE before and after he does his work. This will also help when cleaning his hands after.
  • brownfrog
    brownfrog Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    Swarfega's very good for tough stains. If he finds his hands are drying out too much after cleaning (with anything), then aqueous cream can be used as a cleanser.
  • glampam
    glampam Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    My other half is a gardener and he always uses the Norwegian formula hand cream throughout the day and his hands wash up well, it also seems to help the skin not split so much when cold and wet. He's tried barrier creams but they didnt work (as) well for him. The soap under the fingernails is also very good (the cheapest soap possible seems to work best for me).
    My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.

Living my dash - Linda Ellis
  • SAMHP_2
    SAMHP_2 Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    A good blob of Fairy (or sim), a teaspoon of sugar and a drizzle of cooking oil - cleans and moisturises in one go.
    Sam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport