We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Clean hands after gardening?

Options
2»

Comments

• amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    Gloves would be sensible, given the risk of Toxoplasmosis if working in public parks etc.

I have all manner of allergies, so gardening starts with ample application of a cheap boots skin cream, cotton cloves then a pair of thin leather outer gloves.

If using any chemicals such as weedkiller, I'd swap to using a pair of disposable latex gloves.
  • Suzy_M
    Suzy_M Posts: 777 Forumite
    Options
    Best no-fuss solution I've found for 'gardener's hands' is Aldi's Power Craft Heavy Duty Hand Wash. It's a 'gritty' paste (sold in 250ml tubes) intended for 'mechanic's hands'. I don't wear gloves for general gardening and this is the best solution I've come across (even better than the discontinued Norfolk Lavender Gardener's Soap) for dealing with ingrained dirt. It contains liquid paraffin so leaves the skin soft and moisturised as well as clean.

It's one of Aldi's regular specials and I think is due in again soon (time for my annual bulk buy).
  • brownfrog
    brownfrog Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    amcluesent wrote: »
    Gloves would be sensible, given the risk of Toxoplasmosis if working in public parks etc.

Good point! And don't forget tetanus - thespores can be present in soil and manure, so any gardener should make certain their shots are kept up to date.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SAMHP wrote: »
    A good blob of Fairy (or sim), a teaspoon of sugar and a drizzle of cooking oil - cleans and moisturises in one go.
    Sam

That's my top tip too :-D

follow up with a good nial scrub and a slather of aqueous cream or cheap petroleum jell and all is groovy again on the hands front :D
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We used swarfega 3 step at my old works.

1. Protection gel, before working, Stop stuff sticking to hands

2. Wash grit, to remove stains, dirt, etc.

3. Hand lotion, to repair hands.
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    >And don't forget tetanus<

I'd be as worried about Weil's Disease (Leptospirosis), contracted through cuts in the skin if working in water-courses which have a population of rats which carry the parasite.
  • Mrsmoneypenny
    Options
    Lots of good ideas, where could i get the swarfega protect from. I've had a quick google for it, would i need to buy it from the net or do motoring shops sell it over the counter?
  • halfpint90
    halfpint90 Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    i found that fairyliquid and sugar do the same job as swarfega, and no where near the price!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure