We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Finding money you'd forgotten about!

13

Comments

  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    I think the best 2 have to be behind the sofa and in coat pockets!! Especially coats you've not worn for several months :) There's nothing nicer than reaching in to the pocket and pulling out a note :)

    If you've raided your sofa savings and found nothing, then why not invite all your rich friends over for tea and try again? :D
  • QUOTE=amosworks]I think the best 2 have to be behind the sofa and in coat pockets!! Especially coats you've not worn for several months :) There's nothing nicer than reaching in to the pocket and pulling out a note :)

    true, found a fiver in my coat pocket the other day and £4.50 in change yesterday in an old rucksack i used for the gym and was about to throwout :eek:
    coming into the light......:dance:
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I had a big clear out a few years ago and found all my old 21st birthday cards. Of course, I started looking through them before I filed them away and found £20 in one of them!! REsult.

    USually I am so clutter-free that I don;t lose money in the first place, so I can't find it later :(
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Busybody
    Busybody Posts: 925 Forumite
    I was once selling a jacket at a car boot sale it had been hung there for ages then someone started to show an interest in it, he said he would have it, for some reason I felt in the pocket before I put it in a bag only to find £3! that was what I was charging for the jacket!! :eek:
  • livilou
    livilou Posts: 148 Forumite
    this happened to me last week. A very good friend who recently started a new job phoned to say she was taking me out for a meal, her treat with he rfirst pay packet - she knows we have had a hard year bless her. I was so excited and got ready , dug around the bottom of my wardrobe for a small bag, as I was putting my phone in and my lippy i found 30.00 in the side pocket - well u would have thought I had won the lottery!!!! god knows how long it has been there as I cannot remember the last time I went out - so long ago!!!!

    it was a nice feeling!
    x
  • starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    I was recently sorting out all our old vhs tpes to post them on freecycle
    We had n 'ed wood' film and book boxset and i realised I should take out the book from the box, as I really enjoyed it

    Real good job as there was a £20 and £10 in there..
    A couple of years ago when O.H lost his cashcard he took out a sum of cash and was storing it in there for safekeeping,using as and when.
    guess he forgot the rest when he got his card back
    luckily the lady who collected them was lovely so i think she would have mentioned it had we not realised..but who knows?

    Lucky for us as it was close to payday and we were down to the last few pounds...
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • molesworth
    molesworth Posts: 61 Forumite
    Packing to go on holiday a few years ago we found £50 in the pocket of the suitcase -left there from the previous year. It was lovely surprise - but I did feel a bit sick about all the times we'd been hard up for £50 in the intervening months...
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I recently found info on an ISA I have had for a while and forgot about. Called them up during the week and they said that I had over 1k in there. :eek:
    MFWB
    Mortgage when started: £232,000
    Current mortgage Sept 2024: £232,000
    Mortgage free day: Sept 2029

    Saving: £12k 2025
  • RVK2
    RVK2 Posts: 379 Forumite
    $17mma wrote:
    I recently found info on an ISA I have had for a while and forgot about. Called them up during the week and they said that I had over 1k in there. :eek:

    OMG!! :eek: how do you forget about £1000? Fantastic surprise though..spend wisely :D
  • RVK2
    RVK2 Posts: 379 Forumite
    I sort of found some money. My iron kept tripping my switch thing so I put it outside to go to the tip as I didn't have the receipt and bought a new one. Was having a sort out of paperwork a couple of days ago and found the receipt. So I took it back today and got a refund. I didn't tell them that it had been outside in the rain and snow for the last month lol. So that's me £4.94 better off...a Tesco Value iron not recommended...it holds next to no water and doesn't get very hot, but then I paid less than a fiver.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.