We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Finding money you'd forgotten about!
Comments
-
Last month my partner was having a good search for some bits for something he was selling on Ebay and found £300 cash in an envelope!!!
It was money that he had lent his sister last year that she had returned to him in July! - he had put it away and meant to bank it, but we were just about to go in holiday so he forgot.
He was overjoyed of course and very puzzeled that it had been overlooked, especially as he uses Microsoft Money to record everything AND he is an accountant!! LOL (He put it towards a Tomtom!)
I wish I could come across some serious money like that, I found a fiver in some trousers a few weeks ago, it made my day!!
0 -
hotdiggerdy wrote:...moral..a root around in your drawers can bring a smile to your face and a feeling of immense satisfaction.
:eek: :rotfl:
....anyway, changing the subject (
).....fortunately/unfortunately, I know where every last penny of mine is so I am unlikely to happen across any money just "lying around".
What I do do that is silly, is every day I hope that the postman will bring me a nice big cheque. Where this cheque is supposed to come from I really have no idea!
But still, I hope....... 
Going a bit loopy I suppose.:snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin0 -
ceegee:
...fortunately/unfortunately, I know where every last penny of mine is so I am unlikely to happen across any money just "lying around".
I've heard there's a few garages in Kent that might be worth a look...Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions. A.A. Latimer :eek:
Debt Jan 06: £103,000
Current: £99,000
Debt-free date: 2465 (give or take a century)
Current homemade banana bread status: 2 slices left
Current statement/letter stack: 8.6 inches
The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money
0 -
I was clearing out paperwork when I came across an old policy that had been assigned to a bank as part of a business loan. I thought it had been taken in an IVA but I phoned to check and the bank had released the assignment! IVA is over so, a check for just under £1500 arrived last week!
I might not have checked normally but I was feeling lucky that day....Apparently, if you lose one sense, others senses are enhanced. That's why those who have no sense of humour have an enlarged sense of self-importance.0 -
This doesn't quite count, but I received a birthday card from my parents yesterday, and a £20 note fell out of the card when I opened it
I will be 37, but I will always be my parents' kid 
It made my day and I am putting it aside so we can have a take-away and a bottle of cava on the day (a rare treat these days!).Debt-free in May 2015 with the help of Payplan and MSELightbulb Moment: November 22, 2004 :idea:0 -
A few years ago we were emptying my grandads flat as he was going into a home, he had been babbling on about some 'savings' for years but we could'nt find it.
Anyway just before the 'antique collecting' bloke came I thought I would remove the loose top from the wardrobe (old fashioned type) lo and behold there were the 'savings' all in odd bundles with elastic bands around and in little bags. He had been just pushing it under the loose top for years, and it was all in old notes nearly £3000. The bank changed them.
Apparently this happens a lot with old folk and furniture and these house clearance people, the ones who are not so honest pocket it for themselves, I have that on good authority!!
0 -
I occasionally find a quid that's fallen down the back of the chest of drawers or something, but like many of us I'm so organised these days that it's rare to find money I didn't know I had.Debt Free Nerd #3100
-
I love finding money I've forgotten about, but being so damn organised, that never happens! I know where every single penny is!!
0 -
This hasn't happened to me since i was about 15. Mum got my old play till out of the loft and it had a real £10 note in, i'd obviously swiped it out of her purse at some point to play with!
I did find 500 Hong Kong dollars at the airport last week though, not bad as its worth about £30.Lightbulb moment Dec 2005 - debt £23700
June 2010 - £17984.210 -
I like to get a handbag out that I've not used for a while, sometimes theres the odd 20p in there.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards