We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Finding money you'd forgotten about!

After a horrendous day at work yesterday, I got home and started a bit of a clean to work the stress off. It was well worth it as I found £50.00 :j: I'd completely forgotten about!! I felt like I'd found £500.00 as I'd been really strict with myself all week and was convinced that I only had £2.50 left of my £10.00 weekly spending money to buy 2 birthday presents!

Will not be squandering it though, it will pay for birthday presents for the several birthdays I have coming up soon as well as the other ones.

Do you find money tucked away you'd forgotten about?
Its nice to be important but more important to be nice!
«134

Comments

  • Lucifer
    Lucifer Posts: 173 Forumite
    Gosh no... I wish. Well done, by buying the pressies that you would have had to buy anyway (not overspending cos u feel flush tho!), your budget will look much healthier.
    "I will be debtfree":p
  • rubix_76
    rubix_76 Posts: 216 Forumite
    I was around a friends house and he was searching down the back of a sofa that he was going to sell, and he found .... Mr T's head from an A Team action figure tht he lost when he was 8, he is now in his late 20's !

    Does that count ? :rotfl: :T :j

    Rubix
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Busybody
    Busybody Posts: 925 Forumite
    If he was able to get money for a sofa that was that old! he should feel glad anyway!
  • me and the wife spent the other morning sorting through the "junk" drawer ( own up everyone has got one!) and came across an old bank book of hers from 19 years ago with £24 still on it and £17 worth of tv licence stamps on a card!! sent the stamps back to the tv licencing people and went into the bank with proof of id etc .
    result.. a £17 cheque for from tv licencing and £35.23 including interest from the bank total £52.23 that we didnt know we had! all for a morning of tidying out a drawer...moral..a root around in your drawers can bring a smile to your face and a feeling of immense satisfaction.
    coming into the light......:dance:
  • Cantdance_2
    Cantdance_2 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Looking through your bank statements can also be good - I noticed that BT Internet had been taking money out for 3 months after I cancelled with them.... result? £60 refund!

    James
    Total Debt: Owe about £19,000 on credit cards plus £24,000 which is my half of joint loans.
  • vyvyan_2
    vyvyan_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    500 Posts
    I found 2 x 20 euro notes and got those exchanged! The've been in the drawer for about 3 years. I bought this weeks shopping with it. :D
  • CANTDANCE; annoying that bt have been taking your money and gaining interest on it cos they were incompetent in the first place :mad: , but nice for you as you now are £60 to the good :T . well done.
    coming into the light......:dance:
  • tattooed_lady
    tattooed_lady Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I LOVE it when you find money you've forgotten about!! Found £5 a coupla times - nothing in ages though as I'm so obsessed with money now that i know where every penny is LOL!!! :rotfl: :o
    Mortgage-free wannabe!
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Cantdance wrote:
    Looking through your bank statements can also be good - I noticed that BT Internet had been taking money out for 3 months after I cancelled with them.... result? £60 refund!

    James

    So did I!!!! they said I had to tell them to stop taking it!!

    Money has been tight of late and the other day my grand daughter asked to look at a craft book and we found 6 old fivers in it, the bank changed them. About last year I also found £100 in ne of my other books. This money came from better times I don't think I'll find any more though.:cry:
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  • :wink:
    needmoney wrote:
    So did I!!!! they said I had to tell them to stop taking it!!

    Money has been tight of late and the other day my grand daughter asked to look at a craft book and we found 6 old fivers in it, the bank changed them. About last year I also found £100 in ne of my other books. This money came from better times I don't think I'll find any more though.:cry:

    life is full of pleasant surprises..you never know. ;)
    coming into the light......:dance:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.