Question of the Week: When should I buy my foreign currency?

Options

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much is it going up by and how many are you taking?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • dblue75
    dblue75 Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if the rate will go up, stay steady or go down.....??? thats why i am looking here for some advice someone may have an idea how/if its gonna fluctuate???

I'm taking £2000 and my girlfriend is also taking £2000
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    other and please state
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1629547&highlight=when+should+buy+foreign+currency

Aside from the fact that I don't know why anyone would want to carry that much in cash on them, if you plan on doing so then you ought to check the limit for cash on your travel insurance.

Why not use a debit card abroad?
  • dblue75
    Options
    Reason being used a debit card before and the banks clever computer kept rejecting my card at cash machines...even though they were told in advance i would be going abroad and using my card...Their clever computer still looks for unusual activity and stops your card....it can only be over ridden by calling the UK holding on for ages then waiting 24 hours to be able to get cash out......OH and what happens again ???? Yup the exact same thing...when you got to lift cash on the 2nd attempt.

So in short, thats why i am not using my card abroad. And this has happened to loads of people. Happened to people in Mexico last yeat who ended up being bailed out by friendly holidaymakers around them until the bar on using their card was liftet...and Da Rah !!!! it happened all over again. :mad::mad::mad:
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you have the option of a fairfx card or a caxton card, both prepaid credit cards, and more secure than taking cash. Also, they are designed for use abroad, so there would be no issues using it abroad...

also, the exchange rates are better than the high street.

anyway.. onto the buy now, or later..

i've just glanced into my crystal ball, and it's telling me on the 2nd August 2009, at 16.28 is the best time to buy... oh no? what's that crystal ball, oh.. is the best time to buy a pint of beer, not dollars... oops.. my mistake..

M
  • dblue75
    Options
    Aye very good pal....if i wanted a joker.....i'd pull one out a pack of cards.... thanks for your witty banter...almost cracked a smile NOT.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dblue75 wrote: »
    I don't know if the rate will go up, stay steady or go down.....??? thats why i am looking here for some advice someone may have an idea how/if its gonna fluctuate???

How much does it actually matter?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dblue - nobody knows. Sorry. Marky goes to the US plenty times a year and if HE doesn't know, then nobody will. No need to be rude.
  • dblue75
    Options
    I wasn't rude....he was. I was only looking for some expert advice. After all, is that not what this site is all about ???

No wonder a lot of people give up on here, when they receive unfunny and slagging comments which i have witnessed on many a post that people have asked questions.
  • inspector_monkfish
    Options
    other and please state
    dblue75 wrote: »
    I wasn't rude....he was. I was only looking for some expert advice. After all, is that not what this site is all about ???

No wonder a lot of people give up on here, when they receive unfunny and slagging comments which i have witnessed on many a post that people have asked questions.

why don't you try the US$ thread then
    those clever knowledgable guys on there will be able to tell you the exact best time to buy, i'm sure

heres a link:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1698143&page=43

come on dude, lighten up and get a sense of humour... he was only messing about
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport