Question of the Week: When should I buy my foreign currency?

Options

Comments

• anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    personally for me what i did for my last trip to france in january, as i was budgeting for it a few months before, i bought about £100 per month out of each pay cheque, found that way i spread the fluctations so the change in the euros to pound didnt affect that much, note however that the best rates are often on line and usually have a minimum order level, i only did that because i was only changing less than £500 into euros

i did the same for canada when i was buying canadian dollars, and again spread the fluctuation

each month i would look to see who had the best rate and went in my lunchtime (though working in birmingham city centre had the advantage that i could shop around to see who had the best given rate as had marks and spencers, post office, thomas cook, thomson, an american express office, plus the major banks to see who had what rate etc)
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    personally for me what i did for my last trip to france in january, as i was budgeting for it a few months before, i bought about £100 per month out of each pay cheque, found that way i spread the fluctations so the change in the euros to pound didnt affect that much, note however that the best rates are often on line and usually have a minimum order level, i only did that because i was only changing less than £500 into euros

i did the same for canada when i was buying canadian dollars, and again spread the fluctuation

each month i would look to see who had the best rate and went in my lunchtime (though working in birmingham city centre had the advantage that i could shop around to see who had the best given rate as had marks and spencers, post office, thomas cook, thomson, an american express office, plus the major banks to see who had what rate etc)
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
  • jp2002parry
    jp2002parry Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    hello im going away in september and i am looking at the best way to get holiday money.I've just read the thread on holiday money and one of the sites says if you buy now they will send them just before we are traveling and give us 1.17.25 instead of the price of the euro now

So here my Question do i trust them (and if i do am i insured)?
    Or do i wait and hope that the euro goes up ??

Please help:idea:
  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hello im going away in september and i am looking at the best way to get holiday money.I've just read the thread on holiday money and one of the sites says if you buy now they will send them just before we are traveling and give us 1.17.25 instead of the price of the euro now

So here my Question do i trust them (and if i do am i insured)?
    Or do i wait and hope that the euro goes up ??

Please help:idea:

Did you read this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1629547
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    other and please state
    I voted 'other' and suggest you go and find someone with a crystal ball! :p
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Incapuppy wrote: »
    I voted 'other' and suggest you go and find someone with a crystal ball! :p

Indeed, if any of us knew the answer to this one, they would all have retired to Barbados.:D
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    other and please state
    Inactive wrote: »
    Indeed, if any of us knew the answer to this one, they would all have retired to Barbados.:D

But you see, I really do know the answer! (Did I forget to mention that I am posting this from my laptop in the bar at Sandy Lane? :D )
  • strawarms
    Options
    Buy Now
    hi, i can tell you what not to do, don't use your Lloyds Tsb Visa Debit card to buy currency. You get charged £2 by visa even though you buy in sterling and in the UK.:mad:
    I made this mistake last week at Sainsburys Travel Money in my local store.
    32 tills I could have used for FREE cashback
    2 ATMs i could have used for FREE
    But i thought as it was paid for in sterling and was in the UK it would be free.
    Lloyds have been great and credited me the £2, but told me they won't do it again ( fair i think, i won't make the mistake again).
    if you have already been caught phone and ask for the supervisor explain what happened and ask for there supervisor until you get to speak to someone who can give you the credit.:A

SURELY ALL OUTLETS IN THE UK THAT CHARGE YOU FOR MONEY SHOULD DISPLAY THIS CLEARLY.:confused:
  • dblue75
    dblue75 Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    As my title says guys...and hints on whether i should buy US $$$ now for going on holiday to Hawaii and the end of August OR should i hold out to see if the rate goes up ??? and if it does ???? would it really be worth it ???

any advice greatly appreciaited. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport