We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Great “Easy Lucrative Garden Crops” Hunt: What costly foods can you grow with ease?

Options

Comments

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    olly300 wrote: »

I've lived in a flat with no garden and limited space, and these where the easiest things to grow. With the herbs you don't even have to start them off as seeds as you can buy plants and repot them.

i can agree with this having done it many times myself, also having tried growing basil from seed this year and it being sooooo slow despite being in great growing conditions i'd definitely choose the store potted herbs meant for consumption over seed next time

don't forget to plant seeds meant for eating like mustard and coriander seeds i've had good luck with these, might try poppy and onion seeds next time, they tend to be much cheaper to buy as food than they are from seed catalogues... they 'won't come true' but they are so cheap that to me it doesn't matter if i can collect seeds from them next year that will be exactly as the plant i got that year so it all evens out
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would have thought so,,,you can eat the beetroot leaves in salad too
  • Confuzzled
    Options
    brownfrog wrote: »
    Money-saving alternative: if you use 'scrubby sponges' in your kitchen, then once the scrubby bit has worn away, don't just chuck them in the bin - store them somewhere until you're ready to plant up. Put a layer of them at the bottom of the pot, over the crocks/polystyrene you're using for drainage. They hold on to masses of water, and you're not adding to landfill. I've also heard of them being used to root cuttings, but I've never tried this myself.

i just have to say how pure dead brilliant that is!

i use those pretty much exclusively, i have always washed mine in the washing machine then when they are down to their last legs i've used them on something icky like the loo etc but i think i'll start saving them up for next years pots now!!!
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    1jim wrote: »
    I would have thought so,,,you can eat the beetroot leaves in salad too

My beetroot are about a foot tall and have plenty of foliage, but I had a little poke around today and there is nothing but roots. Is it too early for them to develop or are they not going to?
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • Confuzzled
    Options
    has anyone ever had any luck with sweet potatoes?

i've a huge sweet potato that has sprouted a LOT of gorgeous purplish green shoots with leaves now (my kitchen is very warm and well lit and i've just sorta left it there as an experiment :p)

i'm in scotland so whilst i've been able to grow tomatoes outside successfully because it's south facing and sheltered i know i've very little hope of having much success with sweet potatoes outside however, i've read in many places that the leaves are edible like spinach and have found many recipes for their use.

so i was thinking they might make a nice house plant and i could get some leaves throughout the year from them... anyway i was curious if anyone else has grown them and if you have any tips
  • ruthiejane
    ruthiejane Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    My beetroot are about a foot tall and have plenty of foliage, but I had a little poke around today and there is nothing but roots. Is it too early for them to develop or are they not going to?
    Are you feeding them? This sounds like you are using a feed which encourages leafy growth rather than root growth. Mine have roots about the size of golf balls at the moment, though my friend's are more like tennis ball sized.
    ilovefreegle.org - give it away don't throw it away :)
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are supposed to be all roots :D I presume you mean the roots aren't swelling?
    I think you may have them too close together, how far apart are they?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2009 at 12:06PM
    Options
    I've grown fennel (the bulb type, not just as a herb) - its dual purpose really, as you can use the ferny leaves as herbs eith fish - and had really good result. Definatley be growing it again next year.
    Also growing Sweetcorn in a builders bag. There seems to be a lot of cobs growing on it now. So I will be growing that again next year as well.
  • Melonade
    Melonade Posts: 747 Forumite
    Options
    buxtonrabbitgreen, we've just picked our first beetroots 10 minutes ago. My son has took them for his Nan but I've saved a few for us :j The leaves were about a foot tall but the actual beetroots were tennis ball size and just smaller.

The leaves were quite tall for a while until the beetroots started to swell so maybe they need a bit longer.
    Even if you stumble, you're still moving forward.
  • lynneee
    lynneee Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have yet to pick my beetroot yet, will be doing it tomorrow, but some look big (the tops are just poking out of the soil,) and some look like they have done nothing at all. I think I must have planted them too closely together. For a first try i am quite pleased though! :)
    mortgage £800 overpayment 2022. £600/£2400 2023 🙂 savings £1853/£1800 😊
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport