We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Great “Easy Lucrative Garden Crops” Hunt: What costly foods can you grow with ease?

Options

Comments

• gizmocoe
    gizmocoe Posts: 30 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry to sound stupid :eek: but with salad leaves do you just pull one or two leaves off at a time and the plant produces more or harvest whole plant in one go? I am going to try growing these and don't want to get it wrong... If it's not too late already?
    Thanks in advance (hopefully..!!) You seem like a friendly bunch, thanks for all the advice here so far. Good on yer!:T
    Gizmo:D
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In theory you should be able to pull single leaves from all lettuce plants (I think) but you can buy specific salad leaf mixes which are CCA (cut and come again). These tend to be more open type plants, ie easier to get individual leaves out without damaging the rest.
    If you grow hearting lettuces, you can do the CCA thing when they are young, but when they get older the middle turns into a delicious tight mound of leaves, Mmmm, best to eat these whole.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gizmocoe

You can also allow lettuces and some other salads grow quite large, then cut the centre before the plant starts to produce a flower head. Leave 12 leaves when you cut and each node will produce a new set of leaves to harvest in three/four weeks.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • dartmoorchillifarm
    Options
    Peppers are pretty easy to grow - but try and stick to one of the milder varieties ie Cherry Bomb, Jalapeno, Anaheims. These grow well in our environment - although do not overwater as this is a sure fire way of killing them off.

On the hotter varieties, Apache chillies are very hardy as well as being prolific with fruits.
  • dartmoorchillifarm
    Options
    Also remember that chillies are native to india, mexico - ie hot countries. They will grow outside in the UK in the summer (well some varieties - like the ones above), however its our cold nights that are the problem.
    Personally I'd recommend keeping them indoors in a nice sunny position such as conservatory or greenhouse or just on a sunny windowsill.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    When I went to pick up my few wee plants offered to me on freecycle, I was pleasantly surprised to be given 10 cucumber, about 20 beetroot, 10 sweetcorn , lots of onion and carrot seedlings!!!!:j
    Most of these are now transplanted into my garden. :rotfl:
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • RoxyUK
    RoxyUK Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys, i've spent the past hour reading through this thread! Great ideas here! I am brand new to gardening and so far have a big pot planted outside with potatoes, 3 tomato plants currently growing away in my summer house window, 4 strawberry plants in the window sill, a small chili plant also in the window sill and a seedling tray with carrots.

After reading all the great ideas on here, i'm going to head to homebase tomorrow and pick up some pea plants and herbs for a herb garden pot!

Now, I decided to start my carrots off in a seedling tray and they are now about 2 inches tall, I was wondering when was the best time to transplant them outside?
  • rosie383
    Options
    I had some old potatoes in my veg rack, that were starting to get wrinkly and sprout. I planted them in the garden about 2 weeks ago, and one of them has a lovely lush green growth coming up. It was about 1" yesterday, and today is 2"!!!!!
    Sorry, I'm getting all, excited here. And my lettuce seeds are also coming up today.
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RoxyUK wrote: »
    Now, I decided to start my carrots off in a seedling tray and they are now about 2 inches tall, I was wondering when was the best time to transplant them outside?
    Before they grew :D Carrots aren't supposed to be transplanted and you can get very varying results doing it.
    Put them out now.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • rosie383
    Options
    The carrot seedlings I got from freecycle, were unfortunately all clumped together. I have tried to separate them out a wee bit, but I don't think they are going to do. They were free anyway, so I'm not losing anything.
    Another question to all you helpful veteran gardeners out there...... I want to now buy some raspberry canes and am looking to buy maybe autumn bliss, or glen clova. I would like something that fruits this year, and know I am a wee bit late, but surely it should still be possible? Also we need a cherry and apple tree.. any suggestions? We don't have masses of room, so has anyone tried the patio dwarf ones?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport