We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Great “Easy Lucrative Garden Crops” Hunt: What costly foods can you grow with ease?

Options

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah. I think the poppies may be a problem. I quite fancy just having a riot of colour in the garden this year at least, having had no colour at all for the last few. I was out in the wonderful rain pulling out any seedlings which were actually among the veg, but left any around the edges. There aren't too, too many.
    Would it be OK to leave them to flower this year, then pull them out before they go to seed? Or would that be too late?
    By the way, you had advised me before to go ahead and try with some lettuce seeds even though it was late. I now have 2 rows of little lettuces coming up. They are very wee yet. When should I thin them out? And how far apart?
    My perpetual spinach and baby salad leaves are growing really well too, and we are having spinach tonight, and have been having salad the past few days. I have just picked leaves from each of the plants and left maybe a dozen or so behind. Should I be picking the big leaves from round the edge, or the wee ones?
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • npsmama
    npsmama Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Muffin99 wrote: »
    Interesting post!

If you grow broad beans the tops of the plants are an absolute delicacy! Just boil them and see :)

I love this idea!!

At what stage do you pick the tops? How much do you pick?
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    npsmama wrote: »
    I love this idea!!

At what stage do you pick the tops? How much do you pick?

Pick them before the blackfly settle, usually after the lowest pods have set. If you leave it even a bit too late, then the fly seem to resist even a salt water soaking. On the other hand if you like the protein............:p
  • npsmama
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    Pick them before the blackfly settle, usually after the lowest pods have set. If you leave it even a bit too late, then the fly seem to resist even a salt water soaking. On the other hand if you like the protein............:p

:rotfl:

thanks.

Quick question: is blackfly inevitable?
  • rhiwfield
    Options
    npsmama wrote: »
    Quick question: is blackfly inevitable?

Seems to be round here (S Wales) :(
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    Seems to be round here (S Wales) :(

They're greenfly that have been coal mining. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:classic lol.....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • rhiwfield
    Options

:rotfl::rotfl:
  • npsmama
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On the lotty in Kent they were rife - there was no point growing broad beans it was so bad!

But we're in N Wales and things are very different - possibly also due to the fact that we have chickens and as they free range during winter they eat slug eggs - result: we have very, very few slugs and snails :dance:_party_

Chickens are worth keeping even if it were for that reason only!
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I can't find the answer to my question anywhere, so forgive me if it has been asked and answered.
    My neighbour has told me she is happy to take any veg bits from my garden that I don't need, and use them to feed her guinea pigs and tortoises.
    Can I give her the tops off the beetroot? They look lovely and tasty, but not sure if they are Ok?
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport