Look forward, Wales, not back!

Options
pollypenny
pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
What is the matter with official bodies in Wales! The North Wales health board has been given the obscure name Of "The Betsi Cadwallader Local Health University Board".

Now I've no idea who Betsi is or was and have nothing against her, but the name seems symptomatic of a narrow inward and backward looking image that we need to get away from.

Similarly, Wrexham's NEWI has eventually got university status - only to be called Glyndwr University! What the heck is the matter with Wrexham University!

Get into the 21st Century, Wales!
Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)

Comments

• skintstudentnurse
    Options
    The Trusts that are local to me have become Hywel Dda NHS Trust (no idea what this is all about)which was formerly Carmarthenshire NHS Trust (which made sense as that's where it is). Then there's the former Swansea NHS Trust which has become wait for it: Abertawe Bro-morganwg University NHS Trust?? Dear me! BTW I've just googled Betsi Cadawaler, she was a nurse from Bala who served during the Crimean War
    Carpe Diem

:D I'm Qualified! :D
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done, Betsi. She does deserve some recognition, but perhaps a ward named after her.

Wasn't it Hywel Dda who led the last parliament of Wales? Again, the name is symptomatic of a backward- looking mindset, eh? Perhaps even a lack of confidence in our selves.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 April 2009 at 8:01AM
    Options
    bit of a mouthful isn't it :rolleyes:
    I work in that trust formally the NW NHS Trust, as that is part of my email addy in work I'll probably now get one that looks like this jane.doe@BetsiCadwaladrUniversityLocalHealthBoard.wales.nhs.uk :cool:

Wales will have seven new LHBs from October called:

Aneurin Bevan Local Health Board – to cover Gwent Healthcare NHS Trust and Blaenau Gwent Monmouthshire, Newport, Torfaen and Caerphilly LHBs;
    Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Local Health Board – covering Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University NHS Trust and Swansea, Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend LHBs;
    Cardiff and Vale University Local Health Board – incorporating Cardiff and Vale NHS Trust, Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan LHBs;
    Hywel Dda Local Health Board – this will cover Hywel Dda NHS Trust and Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire LHBs;
    Cwm Taf Local Health Board will replace Cwm Taf NHS Trust, Rhondda Cynon Taf and Merthyr Tydfil LHBs;
    Powys Teaching Local Health Board;
    Betsi Cadwaladr University Local Health Board, which will cover all of North Wales.
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Aspiring
    Aspiring Posts: 941 Forumite
    Options
    How are non-Welsh to pronounce some of these?
    (Heaven help those trusting SatNav)
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aspiring wrote: »
    How are non-Welsh to pronounce some of these?
    (Heaven help those trusting SatNav)

Lol yeah! I've been living in Wales for 8 years and I'm slowly getting to grips with pronounciations, but when I read this thread out to hubby, he kept telling me that I was pronouncing things wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure