Car price comparison sites

Options

Comments

• hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Im not very good at pressing for more. Ive been looking at a special edition Verve 207 Peugeot. There is already £1300 off the price and with scrappage that is £3300. Ive been to two different dealers, both have come up with the same price and though Ive hinted quite a bit about throwing in things, like for instance, a dog guard - which is priced at £103, neither have taken the bait.

Im not sure how you negotiate at that point :( Off to see a Golf tomorrow to see whether that overwhelms me so much I forget about the Peugeot, or will it just seem like a lot too much money for a car - hmm.
  • jack_spratt_2
    jack_spratt_2 Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    I always say if you do not ask you do not get !!

The way I have worked in the past is find out what you could buy a car from a car Broker !! find out what the trade price for your car is( as your car is a scrappage car this will not apply it is just the scrappage allowance ) !! When you are ready to deal on the car you want phone to make an appointment to see the sales manager and when you see him tell him you are ready to order the car today if they will match the deal you have been offered !! show him you mean business and if he stalls at the price go elsewhere .
    You stand a better chance of the dealer doing the deal if it operates a fleet department !!
    And by the way you should still get a discount on any accessories that are ordered as well
  • hethmar
    Options
    Well, I went by a VW main dealer today and made the mistake of stopping to look at the cars there. They had NO golfs (they tell me new ones wont be available til December :eek: - I thought cars werent selling?) BUT I saw a gorgeous Black Golf Plus. Now whilst this is out of my original budget, it is lovely - the sign said £15450. I was thinking, £2k off for scrappage and part exchange with my other car. Salesman comes over and shows me all the innards and gawd its lovely, real luxury (never had a new car in our lives and we are getting towards retirement age). So when I say we are interested and I start to use the word scrappage, he says, Oh this one isnt included, as we have already reduced the price.

Now I asked him why it was reduced and he said they had bought a number in one lot. I have come home brooding about this car and whether I can afford it and had a browse on the net. I now realise that the reason it was apparently reduced is because the Mark 2 Golfplus has just been released.

I am now going to see if I can find a new Mark 2 on one of the car websites that will also take the £2k scrappage off.

But I dont understand how they work and it all seems a bit scarey.
  • jack_spratt_2
    jack_spratt_2 Posts: 577 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2009 at 4:54PM
    Options
    I suggest you use a car broker to start with !! Carfile are very good( I have used them) and dealdrivers sometimes posts on here but I have never used dealdrivers .
    When you contact the car broker all he will do is ask the dealership he works with to contact you !!From then your contact will be with the main dealer they will handle the entire sale!! there is no commitment from you to do the deal if you are not happy with the figures!! see what they will offer you in the way of a deal .
    Do not pay any monies to a car broker . It is usual to pay a small deposit( by credit card) to the supplying dealer when you order.
    Regarding the golf plus as you have said it has been replaced this month by a new model so if there are any old models about there should be keen deals on these

If you ask the Broker if they would use a dealer in your location they may be able to help

As an example of prices

A new model golf plus S 1-4 80 ps £12,173

A new model golf plus S 1-4 TSI 122p £14,058 which would be the one to go for if you can
  • hethmar
    edited 20 May 2009 at 9:43PM
    Options
    Hi there - went back for a test drive today. Before the car arrives (from their Liverpool branch - about 200miles away!) the salesman tells me that VW are now scrapping the NEW 2ltr model and producing instead a 1600 one - apparently they were waiting for the emissions to be passed by the Eurotesters or whatever before they introduced the 1600. Its the SE edition diesel btw.

ANYWAY, took the 2 ltr they had for a drive, it was lovely, had a problem with stalling as Ive never driven one before and apparently wasnt giving it enough accelerator in low gear. The Park Assist feature is unbelievable, like magic, the wheel turns itself into a space between cars.

But the guy would not budge on the price. He said that they could sell as many as they could get. He did mention hed include the scotchguarding on the upholstery but that was it. List price less scrappage less just £1250 for my 8 year old Fabia Comfort 16v. He also said 12 weeks waiting list for the new 1600 Golf Plus and December before the new Golf.

Dont know what to do now. In total quandry. Peugeot 207 Verve works out just £9500 after scrappage and extra £1300 discount and my car at £1640. Delivery in about 4 weeks.

VW Golf works out £15300 after all the above.

Thats a big difference. Yes, we can pay it but do I need all those lovely extras and beautiful build car and how much will they both depreciate.

Am wondering whether to ignore scrappage and get a second hand Golf Plus now.
  • jack_spratt_2
    Options
    I am absolutely certain you are able to get a better deal than you have been offered!! Some dealers will play hard ball with you if they think they can !! Get a alternative price from some more VW dealers or better still a Car Broker .

What model Golf plus is this on is it the old Golf Plus ??

Regarding the scotch guard treatment its not really worth much !! dealers charge a fortune for it and costs them about £50
  • hethmar
    Options
    Ive tried a few places but none have any stock. I tried autobuytel which has £1700 off but thats about 150 miles away from us and we have to get the scrappage car there and mine, bit of a pain.

However, when I tried to use that to knock down local price the guy poo pooed it saying that autobuytel were notorious for offering cars for sale which they never had and you could end up still waiting for it 14 months down the line. He reckons VW blacklisted them for selling too low ?

The 1600 diesel SE only on VWs site today, just seen it there. Yesterday they only had the 2 ltr 210bps. Thats been dumped in favour of the 1600 105.
  • hethmar
    Options
    Hi, Ive looked but they dont appear to be UK registered cars? The scrappage requires that.
  • hethmar
    Options
    Hi,the model I am interested in is as above. Golf Plus diesel - however the 1600 SE only came out on their site today. Id been looking at the 2 ltr 110 but the 1600 105 sounds quite an improvement re fuel and emissions and the options given. Ive only had the price with scrappage taken into account. Its as above, £15300 so add back the £2k would be £17300 (horrifying)

I guess the older version would be the 1.9 diesel SE?
  • hethmar
    Options
    Thanks, though the 207 deal doesnt seem brilliant really, as we have been offered a 207 5 dr 1.4 diesel for the same amount locally brand new.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure