PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chinese food

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Wow just found this thread thanks so much Mrs E and Kwai chi.:j

Id third the request for battered chilli beef when you get chance.Also I once had a ginger red snapper it was lovely ,I realise this is not on most menu s but I believe it was traditionally chinese ,if you can hazzard a guess at the recipie.:D

Welcome to MSE i have a feeling you ll be a favourite.
    PP
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • kwaichi
    kwaichi Posts: 161 Forumite
    rachbc wrote: »
    I have a great chinese supermarket near me - what brands are good for oyster sauce and hoisin sauce

I use Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster sauce (not the normal bottle)
    If I am not making my own Hoisin then I use Amoy's hoisin sauce

Hoisin literally means seafood in chinese and is pretty easy to make.

HOISIN SAUCE

Just whisk the following together in a bowl:

8 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
    2 cloves of finely chopped or blended garlic
    8 teaspoons of sesame oil
    16 tablespoons of strong soy sauce (Kikoman C00044)
    8 tablespoons of finely chopped or blended black beans
    4 tablespoons of honey
    2 finely chopped or blended birds eye chillis
    1 teaspoon of black pepper

You'll have to whisk for a while or use a processor. You can add msg for extra flavour but I never use the stuff.
    Kwai Chi
    Professional Video blogger
  • kwaichi
    DKLS wrote: »
    Rather than the "westernised recipes" do you have some recipes of what you would actually eat. I had stuffed ducks neck when I visited a University in china a couple of years ago and that was delicious and a world apart from anything I can get at my local takeaway.

Here's a recipe that I made based on a dish I had at a nice cantonese restaurant in Hong Kong:

AUTUMN SNOWFLAKE

Snowflake Rice:
    2 cups of boiled rice
    2 duck eggs
    Soy sauce (Kikkoman C00039)
    1 Generous Tablespoon of salted butter (Jersey Salted butter or French Laduree butter)
    2 cooked and shredded crab arm things

Steam Rice and then fry up eggs in a wok using plenty of peanut oil. split the egg apart with a pummeling action using 2 bladed end spatulas. When rice is ready pour over egg and continue pummeling action. When egg is well mixed into the rice add the crab and the salted butter. The rice should taste relatively plain so not to have too much flavour to clash with the main mix but add some soy to taste.

Autumn Mix:
    1 Courgette sliced
    2 Pak Choi halved
    2 Baby Green Leaf halved
    3 Birds eye chillis
    200g Beansprouts
    1 Sweet Orange Pepper thinly sliced
    1 breast of free range chicken sliced
    Oyster Sauce
    Soy Sauce (Kikkoman C00044)

Whilst doing the above using another wok heat up a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil until very hot. Pour all mix ingredients apart from the sauces & chicken into the pan. Allow to sit for about 2-3 minutes to allow the steam to reduce the size of the leafy bits. Begin stirring and add then make a well in the middle. Place Chicken in the well and stir regularly.
    Add oyster and soy sauce to taste.

Serve the rice onto the plates first and then place the mixture in the middle.

It should look a little like this http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1989740&id=749386194
    Kwai Chi
  • kwaichi

Is this the Indian Papad thing that you can had cold? I have no idea how to make it.
    Kwai Chi
  • vervin
    vervin Posts: 185 Forumite
    OH -will you be my best friend , please!!!!!!!!!!
  • kwaichi

Oh dear! This is another western invention which began in America before the 2nd world war! It's basically a chinese style omelette. It can be served as a large pancake like patty or scrambled up. Like an omelette this is really easy to make.

CHICKEN EGG FOO YUNG

Beat 2 eggs and add the chicken and some chopped spring onions.
    Heat up a wok with some peanut oil and make sure the oil is hot (the oil will move around the wok very easily).
    Add the mix in and move some of the top of the mix around the wok to make an even patty.
    When the mix looks solid enough to flip - turn with a flip or with a large spatula. (if you are going for the scrambled version then this doesn't matter too much)
    When it's all solid add some soy sauce to taste.

Sometimes it's served with gravy or a soy gravy (just gravy with soy added) instead.
    Kwai Chi
  • dee72_2
    dee72_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Hi just found this thread and thought and after me and my mate have tried to google to no avail the recipe repeatedly i thought i would post on the hope that you may know.
    we go to a chinese all you can eat resteraunt and love coconut balls. they are basically battered coconut if this helps we have tried all sorts to try to recreat at home to no avail.
    heres hoping you may have some ideas:o
    New year resolution give up smoking. gave up 1/1/10 at 2pm
    lasted so far
    :j
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Yes Brillaint thread , thank you both :T
  • Hi,

Can you tell me how to make the gorgeous gravy? Its what's missing from all my attempts at noodle dishes for OH :(

Also, can you help with the savoury porridge-type meal we had when we were in Shang Hi? It was lovely, but I'm not sure if it was just a regional thing?

All of these recipes are wonderful, thank you for all the time you've taken to post them. You're going to be a real hit around here!!

Thanks in advance,

PGxx
  • cuca
    cuca Posts: 102 Forumite
    Many thanks for all the recipes. Do you have a recipe for Shanghai Steak please. I live in SA and our little chinese take away where we used to live sold this and it was so delicious. Whilst we lived in UK we were never able to find a chinese take away or restuarant that made this. I am not sure if it is just renamed as something else? Its beef strips (they are so tender) in a sauce along with peas, mushrooms, onions - but I cannot tell what the sauce is??

Thank you so much, I feel a nice chinese evening coming up :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport