PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chinese food

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    kwaichi wrote: »
    SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN

If you prefer the big chicken balls then cube chicken

Make a batter by mixing a whole whisked egg with 100g of self raising flour. Allow to settle for about 5 mins and then dip chicken into mixture.

Deep fry in peanut oil (it's a lot more expensive than veg oil but it's worth it for your health and flavour)

I personally prefer making a beer batter for my chicken. I just mix some beer with some self raising flour (no egg involved).

Here you go.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Hi Kwaichi,

This is fabulous, Chinese food is my favourite. I have recently discovered Zang Bo Chicken and I love it, but I've only ever seen it in one Resturant, would you have the recipie for this please if your not too snowed under with requests

Thanks
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    kwaichi, could you give us more info on your curry sauce, a rough guess as to the quantities of:

Garam masala powder
    Termeric powder
    Sugar
    Water
    Oil
    Sweet and sour sauce

and I suppose these ingredients will only work well with the sweet and sour sauce recipe you gave on page one, not a shop bought one?
  • Gunna
    Gunna Posts: 212 Forumite
    MMMmm i am drooling yummy lol

We would also love to know how to make chow mein(chicken) and which oyster sauce etc is the best make to get as there are so many and it is literally a minefield lol.
    Our local chinese does a nice curry sauce but i would never say it tasted sweet or sour hmmm intersting perhaps that is what is sneakily in there so it tastes so good lol.
    Our local chinese all you can eat buffet does several delicious meals:
    Egg foo young- i would love to know how to make this , i know it is an omelette but it is more delish than a normal omelette, especially with clean shrimps mmm
    Morrocan lamb-god this is heaven, crispy srunchy well done lamb thats is just so tasty, doesn't seem chinese though lol
    Curry sauce-wow their curry is hot and spicy and rich flavoured it is a winner and sort of a dark orangy colour, could this be the sweet and sour hmm...

The simplest thing they do i am yet to make at home, but my OH goes wild over is this:

chicken or beef
    peppers
    mushroom
    onions
    all fried on a hot plate or wok till cooked then soy sauce added, my OH says it tastes so fresh and delicious he loves it lol and it is dead simple and cheap.

My local chinese does prawn wontons i absoloutly adore them i always wonder though how they make the minced prawn filling, itis sweet,succulent and very prawny mmmm i might have to order some now lol :)
  • Gunna
    Gunna Posts: 212 Forumite
    forgot to add the chicken and pepper thing my OH loves does have egg noodles added as well lol, i would forget my head hehe.
  • kwaichi
    kwaichi Posts: 161 Forumite
    [URL="http://members.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

ViewUserPage&userid=www_chinesetakeawaycooking_com"]Chicken chowmein[/URL]

It's funny because when I used to take orders from customers when I was younger - the most popular order next to chips was chicken chow mein. I say it's funny because chow mein literally translates to Stir fry noodles (that and it sounds weird when it not said correctly). In south east asia many dishes come with noodles and usually they are far more specific with the type of noodle they are eating.

In England we are usually given egg noodles. There are 2 main types served over here - the 'fat' round yellow noodle which measures about 2/3rds the thickness of a Hong Kong noodle served in takeaways (because of it's ability not to break and also because it stays warm for longer) or a really thin egg noodle served in 'better' Chinese restaurants. The thin noodle is sometimes used in takeaways too to make the crispy noodles (more hot oil is used to virtually deep fry the noodle into being crispy for a slightly longer period of time)

I'm going to give 2 recipes for Chicken chow mein. One for the type you get in a takeaway and one that I would eat at home.

CHICKEN CHOW MEIN

TAKEAWAY VERSION
    You need 2 woks for this. One for the noodles and one for everything else:

Noodle wok:
    Soak some dry egg noodles in hot water until it's soft.
    Heat wok with a couple of tablespoons of oil until it's very hot (the oil will move around the wok very easily).
    Throw in a handful of beansprouts and let sit for about 30 seconds.
    Throw in the softened noodles and fry for a further minute or 2. (If you want the noodles crispy then put the noodles in

first and in a lot of oil)
    Add soy sauce to taste

Everything else wok:
    Slice up Cabbage, Carrot,Peas,Water chestnut and green pepper and pop into the other hot wok.
    After the cabbage has softened up add some sliced chicken thigh fillet or thawed frozen chicken (with added water if you

want it super tender like some takeaways serve it)
    Add oyster sauce to taste.

Add the contents of the woks together and mix together.

CHINESE HOME VERSION
    You need 2 woks for this. One for the noodles and one for everything else:

Noodle wok:
    Soak some dried egg noodles in boiled chicken stock water until it's soft.
    Heat wok with a tablespoon of peanut oil until it's very hot (the oil will move around the wok very easily).
    Throw in a handful of beansprouts and let sit for about 30 seconds.
    Throw in the softened noodles and fry for a further minute or 2.
    Add soy sauce to taste (I recommend Kikoman C00044)

Everything else wok:
    Slice up
    a courgette
    2 pak choi
    2 baby green leaf
    3 birds eye chillis (mix red and green for nice visuals),
    4 mushrooms
    1 Sweet Orange Pepper

add also

1 teaspoom of soy sauce (Kikoman C00036)
    1 tablespoon of oyster sauce

and pop into the other hot wok.

After about 3 minutes add some sliced free range chicken breast.
    Cook for a further minute and then add 1/2 of a finely chopped garlic into the mix.

Mix the 2 woks together and add oyster sauce to taste if required.
    Kwai Chi
    Professional Video blogger
  • kwaichi
    kwaichi Posts: 161 Forumite
    I'm trying to get back everyone's request in turn even if something takes longer to write out than others so I don't get lost :)

Please keep the requests coming in - I will get round to posting up recipes when I have the time.
    Kwai Chi
    Professional Video blogger
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    what a brilliant thread...thank u for posting all these recipes....iv been trying to make egg fried rice for years
    onwards and upwards
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    have u got chicken and sweetcorn soup ? my kids favourite
    onwards and upwards
  • Sammz
    Sammz Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    Wow, what a great thread :) I've tried to make Singapore Noodles a few times but can never get it like the takeaway. Hope you can help!
    OD Girls On Tour
    Barcelona 2008 - Dublin 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family