We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help! Over 6 months pregnant and don't know about benefits

Options
2»

Comments

• pupsicola
    pupsicola Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi,

Its a very stressfull time when your pregnant, without having to worry about finances too. Take a look at entitledto.co.uk, you can enter all your personal details and it will tell you exactly what you should be applying for and how to go about it.

If you need anymore help come back and ask, thats what we are all here for

Sarah
  • cazza35
    cazza35 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

thanks so much for your suggestions.

Just to make it clear though, we never go out, only buy what is absolutely necessary, don't drink or smoke, so we definitely don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means.

We have Mortgage, council tax, endowments, gas, electric, credit card bills etc. I appreciate that other people live on less and I'm not trying to make out that I'm the worst off.

And I didn't ask my father for anything it was my brother that pointed out to him my situation and he offered to go half with my brother for the buggy as a present for the baby, so I don't take his money off him at all, I just wouldn't do that!

I had worked constantly full time since I left school and when I was about 35 I started to feel more and more unwell and unable to cope with my daily routine and eventually had to give work up all together, I hate not being able to work and feel ashamed to ask for help.

My OH is extremely hard working and I just feel I have to look into every avenue that I can to try and take the weight off him a bit.

It is very easy to let debt mound up when your only disposable cash is taken away from you.

I'll have a look at the debt free board as suggested, and thanks again for replies, especially Marcheline.

Caz xx
  • Marcheline
    Marcheline Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    No problem, thanks! As well as all the suggestions above, it might be worth popping on to the Up Your Income board on here (but only once you have been on the Debt Free Wannabe board to address the root cause of your spending) and getting involved with Mystery Shopping if possible. If you can do this then it will not only provide you with small amounts of money, but it may give you more self-confidence and a much needed boost to your self-esteem. Once you boost your confidence, it may help get back into the workplace too.

I can sympathise with your feelings about being left out in the cold by government services, but I do think that there are small things you can do personally to improve your mental health. If you find that you are dwelling on your situation too much then it will exacerbate the issues you are having, so try to busy yourself with other things if at all possible (I know this is much easier said than done, but in taking small steps you will get a sense of achievement)

Also, I believe there is a depression support thread somewhere on here (maybe on the MoneySaving in Marriages and Families board) and maybe a look on there will also help you. It sounds to me that you are feeling totally let down and stuck in a rut: I know I don't know you, but I think you can get the debt down and start living again. Believe in yourself and good things will happen!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport