Options
124»

Comments

• cymrubaby
    cymrubaby Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    woody01 wrote: »
    Should've bought a telly :p

BTW...no-one is knocking you for having 4 children.
    I think the point being raised is, is that you have 4 children and one is disabled.
    You get the motability for the disabled child (and rightly so), but the grant you get, isnt large enough for the family car you choose.

Many people have more than 1 child, but cannot get a grant for a car to carry them all.

I have to agree, that after getting your HRM, you should foot the rest yourself for something bigger.

I agree buying a telly could have saved some aggro.

We are footing some of it ourselves - I borrowed some money from my parents to pay the minimum contribution of £740. Can't really afford to borrow much more than that - my parents expect interest if I borrow more!
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Incidentally, and this may be missing something. Motability will likely provide a grant to fit a...what's it called, a towbar? The original poster could then purchase a cheap trailer in which to store the pushchair and wheelchair, meaning that the entire family can travel as a unit and the wheelchair/pushchair can both be transported too. Logical solution, no? Therefore, there's no problem with the grant not covering the cost of the tank that they wish to buy, and everyone is happy.

This is what we had to do. We bought a trailer to store DH's mobility scooter & a pushchair. It was the only way we could afford a motability car monthly payment & advanced payment. The tow bar was about £250 (can be taken off when mobility car is returned) and the trailer with a hard roof was around £800. Paying £1050 plus a small advanced payment to motability made more financial sense than getting a bigger car with unreasonably high advanced payment. Works fine (even if it looks a little strange).
  • holistic_witch
    holistic_witch Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    you could ask charity for roof box for wheelchair/pushchair I know someone how got one that way. wishing you good luck in sorting out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure