Motability grant awarded but still can't afford

Options

Comments

• devizes18193
    devizes18193 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    have you considerd buying a car out right with the award .
  • starchild1972
    Options
    You can't get a grant to buy a car, it is only for contract hire.

We have asked for the funding for a VW transporter as we have a mobility scooter and a wheelchair + 4 children to fit in. We specifically asked for the funding for a transporter as it is so reliable, cheaper to run and has the best space for us.
    We have already checked the Hyundai and similar vehicles but there is not the space for all our equiptment.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    woody01 wrote: »
    Forgive me if i sound harsh but the Motability is for your disabled child.......not for the other three so rightly so MB havent paid the full amount.

Before anyone comes back at me thinking i sound harsh, i am also a parent of a disabled child that receives motability.

But not one who believes in inclusion obviously !! :mad:

You don't sound harsh btw just not very bright. Hopefully your child has another parent around too.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    And let me guess you're the parent who isn't the primary carer !
    It's no secret on here that I work three jobs -some parents do that to work around their children's needs.

Not even going to dignify your comments about Aspergers -you've shown how ignorent you are once again.

IF you have a disabled child (which I seriously doubt people who've walked in our shoes don't make the kind of crass and uninformed comments you have made about other disabled children or their siblings) then your child will suffer for having your attitudes in their enviroment ........ but in all honesty likelehood is you're just another troll.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Motability is good for people with poor credit etc. but a bit of a stitch up in the long run financially, i get higher rate mobility and recently did some sums, to get an astra elite under the scheme i would have paid £1000 up front and then another £6000 over the next 3 years, my insurance is about £300pa so if i deduct 3 years worth (its free under the scheme) im left with the prospect of handing over £6000 to vauxhalls with nothing to show at the end of it, i px'd my old car and brought a nice mercedes c class estate, which will be paid for in 3 years time and belong to me entirely, maybe with manufacturers being desperate for any sales it would be wise to look at the possibility of buying and having something to show for your money?
  • starchild1972
    Options
    What about servicing (oil, brake fluid), tyres, MOT(not needed for cars under 3 yrs old), breakdown cover etc? That is all covered by contract hire too.
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Obviously you believe that parents of disabled children are not "bright". Are we stupid because our children have a disability? Maybe we should have had them killed at birth or adopted!
    Some people have no choice but to work more than one job due to the hours they need to be available!

The Queen is Head of State, Head of the Church of England and Head of the Commonwealth...maybe she is stupid for having 3 jobs too!

Try reading the thread before posting.
    Idiot!
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    I guess your child travels separately from you then, seeing as the motability is for her, not you... ?

Yes she does.
    The mobility allowance she gets is for her.

I use my own car for work.
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    Have to agree with Woody mobility money is being wasted due to the OPs life choice. The debate is not on the rights or wrongs of living with disabled children, the child was well catered for until the parents caused themselves to need a more expensive car. Their choice they should pay.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    woody01 wrote: »
    Forgive me if i sound harsh but the Motability is for your disabled child.......not for the other three so rightly so MB havent paid the full amount.
    Have to agree with Woody mobility money is being wasted due to the OPs life choice. The debate is not on the rights or wrongs of living with disabled children, the child was well catered for until the parents caused themselves to need a more expensive car. Their choice they should pay.

You are correct, the motability is for the disabled child - who has a right to a family life! The OP hasn't stated that the redundancy was 'voluntary' so her needing more help to afford the vehicle she needs cannot be considered a life choice.

If you take your argument to it's logical conclusion then motability should only ever consider funding a proportion of the deposit on a two seater vehicle - single seat if the disabled person can drive themselves. Thankfully, as I pointed out earlier - Motability fund larger vehicles because they recognise that the disabled person is part of a family unit. They never fund the whole amount of the deposit - this was the first thing they told me when I rang to find out what options I had in switching to a car that would enable me to be more independent.

Actually, you can take your argument several steps further. How about: every parent who chooses to have a child could be accused of making a life choice. We better cancel child benefit, child tax credit, free education etc ... And we haven't even started to think about the NHS yet... All that tax we've paid (yes, I live on benefits now, not through choice, but being on above average income when I was working I have paid more tax than others!) - we should demand a refund from those !!!!less breeders... after all, what are the benefits and services provided for children via the government framework if not charitable donations funded by legally endorsed extortion?
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business