Motability grant awarded but still can't afford

Options

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    You are correct, the motability is for the disabled child - who has a right to a family life! The OP hasn't stated that the redundancy was 'voluntary' so her needing more help to afford the vehicle she needs cannot be considered a life choice.

I assumed that the "life choice" that was referred to was having another child.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 April 2009 at 10:30AM
    Options
    Same difference really. The parent's 'life choice' shouldn't negate the child's human rights.

I can't believe I couldn't write f e c k l e s s:
    1. ineffective; incompetent; futile: f e c kless attempts to repair the plumbing. 2. having no sense of responsibility; indifferent; lazy.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    Wrong she was asking about getting a free car before he got laid off. The child had a family life and a car, they then chose to have more children. They will get extra child benefit and such the same as everyone else.
    Looking after a disabled person is a full time job in itself anyway without adding extra pressure on but that is another issue. People who are irresponsible then expect others to pick up the bill annoy me, she is using the child as a way to get a bigger car for her choice. The child had its family life taken away by its parents selfishness.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• daska
    Options
    Yes she was, I read that thread as well.
    48 down, 22 to go
  • PolishBigSpender
    PolishBigSpender Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2009 at 11:46AM
    Options
    People who are irresponsible then expect others to pick up the bill annoy me, she is using the child as a way to get a bigger car for her choice. The child had its family life taken away by its parents selfishness.

Irritates me too.

It would've been far more responsible to think about the consequences of a 4th baby - if you needed room in the car for a double pushchair AND a disabled wheelchair, you'd think that you would wait until the other child didn't require a pushchair.

Incidentally, and this may be missing something. Motability will likely provide a grant to fit a...what's it called, a towbar? The original poster could then purchase a cheap trailer in which to store the pushchair and wheelchair, meaning that the entire family can travel as a unit and the wheelchair/pushchair can both be transported too. Logical solution, no? Therefore, there's no problem with the grant not covering the cost of the tank that they wish to buy, and everyone is happy.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    Four kids and one disabled?
    I think I'd have stopped after the first one, why do you think the tax payer should provide you with a car for 3 able bodies children?

I work to pay for a car of suitable size to look after my brood.

I shall sit back and wait the comments I'm bound to get.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • daska
    Options
    Charities are perfectly entitled to provide more support, regardless of the source of the funding, if they feel the applicant meets their criteria and deserves the support. If you don't agree with their criteria you just have to make sure you don't donate any of your hard-earned money to them. Motability is a charity, it raises funds in order to help adapt vehicles to the user's needs and to help with the purchase price, as far as I'm aware it doesn't get any funding for this from the tax payer.

The tax payer isn't providing a car at all. The tax payer is paying a mobility allowance that the disabled person would get regardless of how many parents/siblings/children s/he has. The recipient of the mobility allowance, in this case a parent, is entitled to spend this allowance as they see fit - a lot of recipients choose to spend it via Motability scheme to obtain a car, wheelchair etc.
    48 down, 22 to go
  • cymrubaby
    cymrubaby Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Irritates me too.

It would've been far more responsible to think about the consequences of a 4th baby - if you needed room in the car for a double pushchair AND a disabled wheelchair, you'd think that you would wait until the other child didn't require a pushchair.

Incidentally, and this may be missing something. Motability will likely provide a grant to fit a...what's it called, a towbar? The original poster could then purchase a cheap trailer in which to store the pushchair and wheelchair, meaning that the entire family can travel as a unit and the wheelchair/pushchair can both be transported too. Logical solution, no? Therefore, there's no problem with the grant not covering the cost of the tank that they wish to buy, and everyone is happy.

Good thinking - perhaps I could slot my very controversial 4th child in there too - seeing as my 5-seater does not fit 6. I refuse to justify my reasons for wanting 4 children. As it happens i've had two children since my disabled child came along.

Like someone pointed out, my son is entitled to DLA regardless of the size of his family and as his carer I will choose to spend the mobility element on whatever car I choose. You're not paying for it so why get involved? You never seem to come up with anything other than narrow-minded sniping which just makes you look petty, jealous and perhaps a bit lonely - after all, you seem to dedicate so much of your time prying into other people's business (especially people who are asking for help and advice) so one can only assume that you live in a darkened room getting kicks from putting the world to your own sad little rights. I really suggest you get out more and take off your rose-tinted specs. You might see that there are plenty of genuine people out there who need just a little bit of advice about things. Perhaps you should just sit back and consider yourself lucky that you apparently know it all and subsequently need no advice.

In future, would you kindly leave any of my posts alone - especially if you have no 'logical solutions' to suggest?

Thanks but no-thanks for your 'advice' PolishBigSpender.
  • cymrubaby
    cymrubaby Posts: 173 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2009 at 4:54PM
    Options
    Wrong she was asking about getting a free car before he got laid off. The child had a family life and a car, they then chose to have more children. They will get extra child benefit and such the same as everyone else.
    Looking after a disabled person is a full time job in itself anyway without adding extra pressure on but that is another issue. People who are irresponsible then expect others to pick up the bill annoy me, she is using the child as a way to get a bigger car for her choice. The child had its family life taken away by its parents selfishness.

What a pathetically low comment. All you need to know is my son wants for nothing - this car is the first real thing we've ever asked for. We've done lots and lots of fundraising for other charities that help disabled children - fundraising that I organised myself. When we were in a better financial position all we did was give back to the schemes that help families of the disabled. We have asked for nothing else. We don't even ask for respite so you can slate me all you like because I know different. I may have chosen to have all four of my beautiful and very worthwhile children but I also look after them ALL without any outside help - even family. We have paid for everything else including his wheelchair, his special needs car seat, buggy and suchlike, like we should because he's our responsibility. Asking a charity for help is our decision and i'm not ashamed of it. My son's motability money more than pays for 3-year rental of the vehicle and we don't get to keep it - it gets sold on at the end so the company more than gets their money's-worth. The vehicle is not a freebie - we do actually pay for its use so I will pick whichever one suits us as a FAMILY. After all, my little boy is perfectly entitled to travel with his FAMILY on holidays, outings etc. One poster here claims to travel separately from her child - such nonsense! The whole point of motability vehicles is to assist the disabled person by helping them get around especially with family. It's there to keep their lives as normal as possible and not disrupted by travelling separately or even not travelling at all.

Up until my husband was laid-off we also provided very well for our children too. I'm starting university this September to do a Primary Education degree - no, not hairdressing, child care or beauty therapy. I am hoping teachers will still be needed at the end of my degree and then I will be a fully paid-up, tax-paying member of society again. Oh and get this - my husband will be taking over as carer for our son and other children while I complete my degree so we will not be burdening (as I'm sure you'd see it) the student finance system by asking for childcare payments for the two younger children I so irresponsibly had.

The redundancy has worked out slightly in our favour because we would have been financially worse-off if my husband had still been working while I studied. So yes, he may not be working at the moment but he is making his own contributions to society and no doubt we'll pay back via taxes every penny of help in benefits we've received when we both go back into work at the end of my degree.

I've worked almost all of my adult life and my husband has worked all of his - we are entitled to assistance when we need it. It's what we paid our taxes for. We've never been lazy, layabout breeders. We tried for our 4th baby before redundancy was even a threat to him. We certainly didn't try for a baby for a bigger car as the car we had already was sufficient.

It's neither yours nor anyone else's place to comment on the size of my family. So many people have fought for the disabled to be treated equally - shouldn't that go for their families too? My children, my choice - if you don't like it then lump it. Like I said, I look after them all perfectly well without any outside help.

This is all my opinion and I really don't care anymore whether or not you agree with it. You're entitled to yours BUT I don't ram my opinion down other people's throats so please keep yours to yourself if it's this petty.

I will no longer be indulging in this childish banter with you because I don't have the time - after all, with all those kids to look after I am a busy woman!
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2009 at 5:02PM
    Options
    Should've bought a telly :p

BTW...no-one is knocking you for having 4 children.
    I think the point being raised is, is that you have 4 children and one is disabled.
    You get the motability for the disabled child (and rightly so), but the grant you get, isnt large enough for the family car you choose.

Many people have more than 1 child, but cannot get a grant for a car to carry them all.

I have to agree, that after getting your HRM, you should foot the rest yourself for something bigger.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure