PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March Update: What are you growing in 2006?

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a series of threads which are following the garden month by month and so I'll add this thread on to the end of it.

You'll need to read from the beginning to get some idea of what people are doing :)

Also, if you look in the Food section of the MEGA Index sticky you will find all sorts of other interesting threads listed under "Grow your own"
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • hilary1
    hilary1 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    My son in law made me a wooden square tub about 30inches roughly with some lift up flaps on the side. I half filled it with compost, threw in some potatoes which had stated growing stalks and ended up with 3 carrier bags of gorgeous fresh potatoes. i didnt even feed them anything except water.

I also grew spring onions in a pot on a stand but it felt ages for them to grow and then we had them all at once.

And I've grown lettuce in a growbag but not very sucessfully as there was always slugs in them which put me off. I'd like to do more so will be looking for something suitable for my tubs again.
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Wonder if anyone can help me? :confused:

I live in a studio flat with only one window. I don't have an outside windowsill but I do have one indoors, fairly wide and quite long.

My conundrum is........what can I grow, if anything?!! :p
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • newbiemum05
    newbiemum05 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    I live in a first floor flat and have just a small balcony which only gets sun in the afternoon if any - am really wanting to grow some veg - my husband is all for this too ?

What could we do in pots etc on our balcony ?

We'd love an allotment but have heard they are expensive and heard to come by - any advice ?

We already do well with wild food - cherries, blackberries, Damsons, Plums, Apples, Elderberries, Elderflowers and whatever else we come across !!

I have a growing hatred for supermarkets (except misprices from Mr T's :rotfl: ) - and now I have an 8 month old son I want him to know veg doesn't come shrink wrapped !
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Whereabouts are you? Allotments near me cost £45 a year and they have a year long waiting list. Anything else, not sure!! I am sure there's something though!!! Waiting for suggestions for my tiny flat!!! :confused:
  • FunkyFairy
    FunkyFairy Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thats a lot allotments were i live are £5 a year for a halg plot and £10 for a whole plot
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Blimey!! it is a lot isn't it!
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    I am not growing anything this year as last year all my potatoes were full of wireworm
    travelover
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm still digging in the manure and compost...one suggestion I would make is that if you live near an allotment site, they often have a "shop" which sells seeds and seed potatoes at cost price or just above. We sell compost, groe bags, seed potatoes, onions sets etc, all at slightly above our bulk buying cost...much cheaper than the shops.....and we will sell to the public. So ,if you live near an allotment site see if you can get your seeds etc. more cheaply...they are usually open on Sunday mornings but times may vary
    Wombling £457.41
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if you want an allotment ring your local council and ask to speak to the allotments officer, or if there isn't one ask for leisure services. The councils are required by law to have allotments for people although, clearly their are a limited supply. Our allotments cost £17.25 for a small plot and £19.25 for a big plot.
    Wombling £457.41
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport