PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

March Update: What are you growing in 2006?

1789101113»

Comments

• zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    calleyw wrote:
    And once you have them it is a nightmare to get rid of them again. And they spread like wildfire. Also they are a very small berry so you needs loads to get a decent dish full.

Try growing them in the gaps between flags. It seems to stop them spreading do fast, though sadly mine didn't survive the new patio! Oh, they never made it to a dish either ... the grandchildren saw to that ;)
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • brindles01
    brindles01 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    A tip for newbie gardners ...

DON'T go planting all your tomato seeds in one go ;):D

Anyone have any ideas what I can do with a million tomato plant seedlings? :whistle: :doh: :o
    Why don't you carry on growing them for a bit, then sell them at the garden gate for charity or to fund your 'gardening purse'?
    DTD - Doing Tesco Daily - while I still have vouchers!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    brindles01 wrote:
    Why don't you carry on growing them for a bit, then sell them at the garden gate for charity or to fund your 'gardening purse'?

That's a brilliant idea and I hadn't thought of that, thanks! :T :D

At what stage should I start to thin them out and re-plant into individual pots (or grow-bags for the ones I want to keep) as they're currently about 2-3" tall and some are sprouting their 3rd/4th pairs of leaves now.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Where can I buy cress seeds??????????
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • nuttyrockeress
    nuttyrockeress Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I am growing so far

Chillis - Cayenne, Jalepeno, Hungarian hot wax and Carribean hot blend all which are shooting now.
    2 types of pepper - Californian and something wonder??

Victoria Plum Tree
    Morello Cherry Tree
    Conference Pear Tree
    Raspberry bush x 6?
    Goosberry bush
    Redcurrant bust x 3
    Blackcurrant bush x 3

Plus i have loads of seeds that I haven't yet planted such as herbs, leeks, spring onions.

I love growing chillies as we spend a fortune on these normally - we are real hot heads in our house. They are really easy to grow and i usually have at least 20 plants. I do give some away to family too!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    I've seen cress seeds in Lidl, Netto, Asda, Instore and loads of garden centres. Woolworths do seeds too, though I had bought all I needed by the time I popped in and don't know exactly what they had.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for so many tips and ideas in this March thread.

Please continue to join in in the new thread:

April Update: What are you growing in 2006?

Annie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.