Railcard discount refused

Options
kayaitch
kayaitch Posts: 78 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I recently bought my son a 16-25 railcard as he has turned 16. He is away every other weekend travelling on South Western trains and the procedure is always that I accompany him to the station, arriving with at least 10 minutes to spare so I can purchase his return ticket from the machine. However we arrived at the station to find the machine had inexplicably GONE with no notice to indicate what had happened to it or whether it would be replaced eventually (the ticket office is only open for 2 hours in the morning, this was late afternoon) so I told him that he would have to buy his ticket on the train explaining to the collector about the lack of machine at the station.

When the ticket collector came round my son asked to buy his ticket (NB BEFORE he was asked to show it) and was treated in a very rude manner. Incidentally my son is a polite, well mannered and quiet young man - but was being treated like a yob. The ticket collector was in his words "grumpy" and said he should have gone to find him on the train. Bear in mind my son is not only young but also relatively new to travelling on his own, so could not be expected to know what to do in as he had never been in this situation before.

Whilst purchasing his ticket he showed his railcard but was told: "Not on the train" and made to pay the full adult fare without the discount. Is this legal?

It was not his fault that he was unable to purchase his ticket beforehand, we had got to the station in plenty of time with the intention of doing so only to find there was no provision for this. I think the implication was that he was suspected of intending not to pay. Surely the fact that he had his railcard with him showed that he was fully intending to buy a ticket.

My questions are these:

1. Why was he not allowed his railcard discount - he had the card and produced it when buying his ticket on the train.

2. Isn't it about time staff were taught to be polite to customers of all ages? I doubt if he would have been so rude and aggressive to an adult although it has to be said that in my experience some staff are habitually offhand with customers; although there are some lovely cheerful people these seem to be in the minority.

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Write to the company and ask them what they are going to do about it. Kick up a stink.

This guilty until proven innocent attitude is becoming all too common nowdays.
  • nunnygirl
    nunnygirl Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    It must depend on the train company then cause the last time I used my rail card I bought the ticket on the train with my railcard no problem.....and there was ample opportunity to buy the ticket at the station but it was easier to make sure I was on the train.

It does say on the railcard website that
    Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard

But I totally agree with Hintza, write to the train company and explain about the machine and ticket office at your local station
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member 1216 -
    2011 Total - £526.62

2012 Total - £503.87
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If there were no facilities to purchase tickets at the station then, afaik, they should allow you to use your YP Railcard on the train. The only circumstances under which you can't are where facilities are available.

Give me 5 I'll see if I can find a link.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would definetly complain and state what was said by Richyrich but add about how unexperienced your 16 yr old is with travelling on the train by himself, hence why he didn't find the train manager on first boarding the train. Then just wait and see, whatever happens you have evey right to complain about his treatment
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • rich_shot2003
    rich_shot2003 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kayaitch wrote: »
    I recently bought my son a 16-25 railcard as he has turned 16. He is away every other weekend travelling on South Western trains and the procedure is always that I accompany him to the station, arriving with at least 10 minutes to spare so I can purchase his return ticket from the machine. However we arrived at the station to find the machine had inexplicably GONE with no notice to indicate what had happened to it or whether it would be replaced eventually (the ticket office is only open for 2 hours in the morning, this was late afternoon) so I told him that he would have to buy his ticket on the train explaining to the collector about the lack of machine at the station.

When the ticket collector came round my son asked to buy his ticket (NB BEFORE he was asked to show it) and was treated in a very rude manner. Incidentally my son is a polite, well mannered and quiet young man - but was being treated like a yob. The ticket collector was in his words "grumpy" and said he should have gone to find him on the train. Bear in mind my son is not only young but also relatively new to travelling on his own, so could not be expected to know what to do in as he had never been in this situation before.

Whilst purchasing his ticket he showed his railcard but was told: "Not on the train" and made to pay the full adult fare without the discount. Is this legal?

It was not his fault that he was unable to purchase his ticket beforehand, we had got to the station in plenty of time with the intention of doing so only to find there was no provision for this. I think the implication was that he was suspected of intending not to pay. Surely the fact that he had his railcard with him showed that he was fully intending to buy a ticket.

My questions are these:

1. Why was he not allowed his railcard discount - he had the card and produced it when buying his ticket on the train.

2. Isn't it about time staff were taught to be polite to customers of all ages? I doubt if he would have been so rude and aggressive to an adult although it has to be said that in my experience some staff are habitually offhand with customers; although there are some lovely cheerful people these seem to be in the minority.

Have to say this shocking and i would write into South West Trains if i was you also why not put a post on this rail forum as a lot of Rail staff use it and they may be able to help.

the website is

https://www.railforums.co.uk

I will look out for your post on there.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with the advice given above.

I am an experienced rail passenger, and in this situation I would wait for the train manager to come through my carriage, but (like your son) make myself obvious when he did appear to avoid any suggestion of attempted fare-dodging.
  • kayaitch
    Options
    Thank you for your help everyone.

I had already complained as I was fuming with anger on Sunday when my son came home and reported what had happened and I immediately sent a complaint to South Western Trains via their website; according to the automated reply their charter states that they have 20 working days to respond so it could be a while!

Meanwhile, I shall post to the railforums site as suggested by rich-shot.

Thanks for looking up the T&Cs Richy-Rich. This guy was definitely out of order so hopefully at the very least we should get an apology and a refund of the discount we should have got. As you will understand I am really upset on behalf of my son when he has been brought up with good manners and is treated like this probably just because he is young, has longish hair and was wearing jeans and a hoody!

Again, thanks to all for taking the trouble to reply.
  • kayaitch
    Options
    I had a nice letter from SWT apologising that the guard did not give my son his railcard discount, and enclosing £10 worth of vouchers being the difference in the fare.
  • rich_shot2003
    rich_shot2003 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kayaitch wrote: »
    I had a nice letter from SWT apologising that the guard did not give my son his railcard discount, and enclosing £10 worth of vouchers being the difference in the fare.

Hiya Im glad you have got it all sorted out now.

Well done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport