Unauthorised Payment

Options
2»

Comments

• DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Options
    logik wrote: »
    i always talk to my bank when something happens that involves a payment i have not authorized or agreed, its my first point of call. I want them to know in case i have to take this further.

secondly some people dont understand that entering your details is only a method for a company to validate your card before an invoice or contract is then shown. it is not an agreemnet to pay or agreement to a contract, at this point they either tell you your details are incorrect if you make a mistake or accept those details and procedd to an invoice for to to confirm.

Using the pin is an example to explain/put my point across, entering details or your card in a reader is not agreeing to anything.

when online you have to confirm a final invoice and in shops you enter a pin. hope that makes sense to poeple on here

So it appears this is not the first time you've had to speak to your bank re unauthorised payment, mmm wonder why.

Yes Amazon may ask you to review your purchase but the bulk of online shopping sites ask you to submit your card details to PAY not to get a price. 99% of my shopping comes from the net and I cant think of one site I have ever used where you need to enter a credit card to get a total price.
  • logik_2
    logik_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    it wont let me add a link but the site is called 'on the beach'
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it www.otbeach.com ????
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If it is www.otbeach.com , then it seems very clear indeed on the screen where card details are entered that you are actually making a booking:

'Full payment for this booking will be taken from your card.'

You then have to click on a big yellow button that has the words 'Book' written on it, and you have to tick a box that states you have read and agree with the booking conditions and terms of business.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

If onthebeach is the correct website ... you are saying that you entered your card details, BUT did not press the big yellow "BOOK" button? If that is what you did, well I can see why you are not happy!

But if you pressed the big yellow "BOOK" button, well then you have booked a flight ... it is fairly clear from the website.

It is a pain that you manually have to work out the credit card charges ... but all other charges appear to be included ... luggage charges??

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    logik wrote: »
    The reason i am giving that example is because having yor card details is not authorising a payment you have to confirm that you agree to the amount and also a contract. As i say i buy online all the time, popualer sites i use like amazon and dvd.co.uk always ask you to confirm the purchase before you are billed,a charge and before any contract exist and every site i use always ask you to confirm your purchase after your card details have been verified with a total price you will be paying, at this point you either confirm or decline.

If you dont agree with the price you dont confirm and no business takes place. At the moment i am looking for consumer advice i can name the company but i dont see making any difference to this issue.

I dont agree with it at all as i buy online every week and this is the first time ever i have been billed when i havent agreed/confirmed a contract or price.
    Now call me stupid, but I would of classed typing in all your credit card info in and hitting "submit" would class you as accepting to pay...

EDIT - You can't enter your details and then them just pull it out of the text box if you don't press any buttons for the information to actually be submitted.
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • Hailz86
    Hailz86 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    I have shopped online for years and have always been shown the full amount before being asked to enter card details, by entering card details and pressing submit, that is paying for something, a final amount is always shown BEFORE they take payment. Just as everyone else has said!!

And also in a store or supermarket, they tell you the price before you put your card in the reader!!
    2012 Wins - Danepak Fridge Magnet, £20 Just Eat Voucher, iTunes Song Download, Yellow Toaster and Kettle, Thorntons Bunny, 6 Months Gym Membership, £250 Multipower Products, 3 X Dalepak Vouchers, 10 minute sunbed session, Lucozade Sport, 2 X BMI Flights, Android Zeemote,
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have to say that if I cant see the full amount of the invoice before I have to submit my card details then I go elsewhere.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    In fairness to the OP it does simply state that a charge will be made for credit card use and specifies the percentage but does not specify the £ amount.

I seem to recall that a rail website I have used is the same.

The taxes and charges are clearly shown.

However, what is disturbing is that the OP says that he/she did not click accept terms and conditions and simply left website open. This is going to be pretty hard to prove and I would suggest that if no mistake was made by OP, OP tries to recreate this with independent witnesses present.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure