New Post Advanced Search

Unauthorised Payment

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
19 replies 1.6K views
logik_2logik_2 Forumite
7 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
Hi,
I was browsing for flight prices and I was looking at a site offering deals. I entered my card details to see what the total price would come out after all cost had been calculated. I did not agree to any contract or read tick any box saying I agree and did not confirm the purchase. I left the page open while I carried on browsing to find other sites to compare to. I found another site with a far better deal and entered my details and then I did confirm when I saw the final price was a good deal after all cost had been calculated.

The next day I was shocked to see the first site had charged my card when I had not confirmed my transaction or agreed any contract with them.

I immediately informed the bank that I had not authorized this payment and I wanted to do an indemnity claim to have the money returned. The bank have not been trying to fob me off, and have not sent me a claim form nor have the done anything to investigate this. Instead they wrote to me and asked me to call them and have been trying to fob me off saying they can’t refund it as the company are happy to provide the service so they don’t have any grounds to refund this money... even though I said I did not agree to it or confirm or authorize it.

I am sure I could go out tomorrow and find 10 companies that would be happy to provide the service if my bank will pay them my money against my wishes who are they kidding. It’s up to me who I choose and it’s my money not the banks.

I believe I am the only person who can authorize a payment regardless of what a company is willing to do.

Does anyone have any advice how to sort this out as I am not being taken seriously? And I haven’t yet got my money back.

Replies

• OlliesDadOlliesDad Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Logik wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was browsing for flight prices and I was looking at a site offering deals. I entered my card details to see what the total price would come out after all cost had been calculated. I did not agree to any contract or read tick any box saying I agree and did not confirm the purchase. I left the page open while I carried on browsing to find other sites to compare to. I found another site with a far better deal and entered my details and then I did confirm when I saw the final price was a good deal after all cost had been calculated.

The next day I was shocked to see the first site had charged my card when I had not confirmed my transaction or agreed any contract with them.

I immediately informed the bank that I had not authorized this payment and I wanted to do an indemnity claim to have the money returned. The bank have not been trying to fob me off, and have not sent me a claim form nor have the done anything to investigate this. Instead they wrote to me and asked me to call them and have been trying to fob me off saying they can’t refund it as the company are happy to provide the service so they don’t have any grounds to refund this money... even though I said I did not agree to it or confirm or authorize it.

I am sure I could go out tomorrow and find 10 companies that would be happy to provide the service if my bank will pay them my money against my wishes who are they kidding. It’s up to me who I choose and it’s my money not the banks.

I believe I am the only person who can authorize a payment regardless of what a company is willing to do.

Does anyone have any advice how to sort this out as I am not being taken seriously? And I haven’t yet got my money back.

Why would you need to provide your card details to get a final price?

By entering in your card details and clicking submit you are agreeing to use that card for the purchase of the offered services. The bank is not trying to fob you off, they are being sensible as you have completed the transaction so the company has not acted illegally.

Have you tried contacting the company to see if they have a cancellation policy or a cooling off period? This should be your first point of call!

I think you have been foolish with your card details and may need to suffer the consequences!
  • OlliesDad wrote: »
    Why would you need to provide your card details to get a final price?

By entering in your card details and clicking submit you are agreeing to use that card for the purchase of the offered services. The bank is not trying to fob you off, they are being sensible as you have completed the transaction so the company has not acted illegally.

Have you tried contacting the company to see if they have a cancellation policy or a cooling off period? This should be your first point of call!

I think you have been foolish with your card details and may need to suffer the consequences!

Because i buy online all the time and until your card detail;s are entered a lot of sites have hidden cost. And only after your details are entered does an invoice bill appear that cannot change at this point you then press confirm to agrree to the price.

just like when you go in any super market or restaurant you put your card in reader and a price appears and you either enter your pin to authorise it or you query it the same as restaurants and all on line sites you have to confiurm the bill first. I buy online 2 to 3 times a week and i have never had this happen before.

so you are trying to say when you are in a restaurant or a super market or an online store that before you enter your pin and see the final bill they can charge what they like because your card is in there card reader, total rubbish! and def not lawful it
    sounds ridiculous (maybe its your business?) and if any other shops or business did this i would never use cards again. its not right and its not the way any business i have used in the last 10 years operates.
  • I've got to agree with OlliesDad.

When you are entering your card details you are normally at the "Checkout" section, once you hit 'Next' that's your payment being processed.

You say you shop online all the time, why are you comparing this to entering your PIN in a shop? I've never been asked to enter my PIN online (and never would if I was asked to!).

Also, why did you go straight to the bank instead of the company? Can you name the site as well?
  • isplummisplumm Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

So just to clarify .... you entered all your card details, then clicked submit to get the final price?

If that is the case, well you have just bought the tickets .... not sure how the banks can help?

I'm going to be honest .... I don't know of any flight websites that have hidden costs (apart from the credit card charge) ... so am not sure why you would need to put your card details in to the website ... what was the website?

Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • logik_2logik_2 Forumite
    7 posts
    The reason i am giving that example is because having yor card details is not authorising a payment you have to confirm that you agree to the amount and also a contract. As i say i buy online all the time, popualer sites i use like amazon and dvd.co.uk always ask you to confirm the purchase before you are billed,a charge and before any contract exist and every site i use always ask you to confirm your purchase after your card details have been verified with a total price you will be paying, at this point you either confirm or decline.

If you dont agree with the price you dont confirm and no business takes place. At the moment i am looking for consumer advice i can name the company but i dont see making any difference to this issue.

I dont agree with it at all as i buy online every week and this is the first time ever i have been billed when i havent agreed/confirmed a contract or price.
  • maninthestreetmaninthestreet Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely the alarm bells went off in your head when you were asked to enter, and then submit, your card details? Comparing a website with a chip/pin machine in a supermarket is not a meaningful comparison, though I would ask you why anybody would put their card in a chip and pin machine and enter their pin number if they had no intention of actually paying.
    Please let us know what website this was, so we can verify your claim.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    7 posts
    isplumm wrote: »
    Hi,

So just to clarify .... you entered all your card details, then clicked submit to get the final price?

If that is the case, well you have just bought the tickets .... not sure how the banks can help?

I'm going to be honest .... I don't know of any flight websites that have hidden costs (apart from the credit card charge) ... so am not sure why you would need to put your card details in to the website ... what was the website?

Thanks Mark

this type of purchase always has hidden cost like baggage, airport fees/taxes, card fees etc. entering details is verification not agreement to pay like i stated before when you are in a shop ( as an example the till will show a price, but that the card reader will say enter your card when your card goes in a price will appear if this dosnt match wht you are expecting to pay if a wrong amount is entered by the cashier (i have had this happen before you query it remove your card and then start the card process agin entering your card or details is not enough to agree with any price they want to charge you have to see the final price first) in a shop you will enter your pin to agree and online you are always asked to confirm when the invoice comes up with all cost and a total.

this is the only time you see all cost and charges, at this point you get a big confirm button to agree and pay the cost or you decline.
    16.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this type of purchase always has hidden cost like baggage, airport fees/taxes, card fees etc. entering details is verification not agreement to pay like i stated before when you are in a shop ( as an example the till will show a price, but that the card reader will say enter your card when your card goes in a price will appear if this dosnt match wht you are expecting to pay if a wrong amount is entered by the cashier (i have had this happen before you query it remove your card and then start the card process agin entering your card or details is not enough to agree with any price they want to charge you have to see the final price first) in a shop you will enter your pin to agree and online you are always asked to confirm when the invoice comes up with all cost and a total.

this is the only time you see all cost and charges, at this point you get a big confirm button to agree and pay the cost or you decline.

Comparing a website with a shop isn't a valid comparison. Please let us know the website so we can attempt to verify your claim.
    7 posts
    I've got to agree with OlliesDad.

When you are entering your card details you are normally at the "Checkout" section, once you hit 'Next' that's your payment being processed.

You say you shop online all the time, why are you comparing this to entering your PIN in a shop? I've never been asked to enter my PIN online (and never would if I was asked to!).

Also, why did you go straight to the bank instead of the company? Can you name the site as well?

i always talk to my bank when something happens that involves a payment i have not authorized or agreed, its my first point of call. I want them to know in case i have to take this further.

secondly some people dont understand that entering your details is only a method for a company to validate your card before an invoice or contract is then shown. it is not an agreemnet to pay or agreement to a contract, at this point they either tell you your details are incorrect if you make a mistake or accept those details and procedd to an invoice for to to confirm.

Using the pin is an example to explain/put my point across, entering details or your card in a reader is not agreeing to anything.

when online you have to confirm a final invoice and in shops you enter a pin. hope that makes sense to poeple on here
    16.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i always talk to my bank when something happens that involves a payment i have not authorized or agreed, its my first point of call. I want them to know in case i have to take this further.

secondly some people dont understand that entering your details is only a method for a company to validate your card before an invoice or contract is then shown. it is not an agreemnet to pay or agreement to a contract, at this point they either tell you your details are incorrect if you make a mistake or accept those details and procedd to an invoice for to to confirm.

Using the pin is an example to explain/put my point across, entering details or your card in a reader is not agreeing to anything.

when online you have to confirm a final invoice and in shops you enter a pin. hope that makes sense to poeple on here

Please post the website address - no one here is going to take your claims seriously unless you do so.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support