How to report illegal scooter riding?

Options
2»

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It may vary from one area to another, but locally, you're more likely to get action if you contact your local PCSO, rather than the Police.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    He reported it to hampshire constabulary. Hooray for justice!!
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• swiftnick
    swiftnick Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    DKLS wrote: »
    Have patience, our local moped riding little scroat, recently met a range rover at 2 in the morning.
    He should be out of action and in traction for at least 8 peaceful weeks.

As much as I hate to say it..........

Result!

Make the most of it my freind.....
  • Takoda
    Takoda Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Options
    Basically if you report them and they get caught on the bike by plod they will get a warning.

It is official and recorded. When they are caught again (as they will be because anyone thick enough to ride without a helmet is thick enough to get caught again LOL) their bike is siezed and crushed.

So its well worth reporting them.

Unfortunately by the time plod get there the riders have often left - area search negative. Descriptions are good though as they often weat the same gear.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If police recieve reports of mopeds being ridden illegally or dangerously they will make a note of it even if they can't get there (due to other higher priority calls - it's nothing personal but a moped ranks lower than say a domestic abuse call or accidents etc). With descriptions of the bike AND youths they will keep an eye out for them in future and pull them over to have a word - whilst there they'll check if the bike is legal and not stolen - if stolen then they'll get nicked...
    If the bike is legal they'll get a verbal warning more likely than not - they'll now also be "known" to the local coppers...
    If they take off and don't stop the police will follwo so long as it's not a danger to the riders or public. To the great irritation of most coppers they have to cease the pursuit if they believe the riders are becoming a danger to themselves or members of the public. Usually though they have in car camera's and if they don't catch them that day they'll catch them another day and the evidence from the last pursuit will be added to anything else they have gathered...
    The cops hate these yobs as much as you do and trust me they DO take all oppertunerties to nab them when they can :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • skintbuthappy81
    Options
    Yep the above is correct, always phone it through to the Police, with a registration num it can be traced back to the owner, again as someone said it may well be stolen but it is worth a shot. Always try and phone in the first instance with any descriptions you can get and the area they are heading towards. If it is a regular occurence I suggest putting your local police phone num in your phone. If the bike is registered to that youth then they will get a Section 59 (as Takoda explained) this is for ASB using a vehicle. If the rider is not insured and is on a public highway then this will be an immediate seizure, and they can only get the bike back if they can provide insurance details which more often than not they can't. Hope this helps

oops forgot to mention, if the land is private and the rider has a written letter from the owner of the land then the rider is doing no wrong.
    Married 1st October 2015:heartpuls

1st Baby due June 2016 :happylove
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you're in Hampshire, use 0845 0454545 or 101 to call the police.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure