How to report illegal scooter riding?

Options
Kavanne
Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
Hi my boyfriend just saw a scooter with 2 teens on it. L plates, no helmets and riding ON, yes ON, Southampton common. Can we report this to the police? We know, date, time, location and he took note of the number plate. Can describe the riders.

I personally have seen them before but with THREE people on it.
Kavanne
Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Umm, ring your local police station? :confused:
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    Umm, ring your local police station? :confused:
    I mean, I was asking is there any point? Would they class it as a crime? Would they even want to record it?
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    you get a lot of that in lordswood, by all means ring the police when you see it oging on, they might just happen to have a car near by.

however its probably pinched so the numberplate might not help too much!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well surely if you report it then they can do something about it eg catch them and give them a telling off or tell the parents, it could prevent an accident from happening, surely its a crime as if its a learner then he has to have a helmet dos he not
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Well surely if you report it then they can do something about it eg catch them and give them a telling off or tell the parents, it could prevent an accident from happening, surely its a crime as if its a learner then he has to have a helmet dos he not

well any motorbike rider should have a helmet on, probably kids with a nicked bike
  • snufkin
    snufkin Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Kavanne wrote: »
    I mean, I was asking is there any point? Would they class it as a crime? Would they even want to record it?

Yep definately ring them. We had two young males driving up and down our road the other day with no helmets really fast and made a report to the Police. They may attend they may not it will depend what they have on at the time, even if they do not atend they will record it.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They may attend, but if they're not wearing helmets, they won't chase them. We don't want them to get injured now, do we? :rolleyes:
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes you should report it and it will almost certainly be kids on a nicked bike.

If the officer on the phone will not take your report seriously, insist on speaking to the duty inspector about it and raise the matter with the police committe at your local council.

They will eventually have to take it seriously and hopefully before someone is mown down - as happened here.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have patience, our local moped riding little scroat, recently met a range rover at 2 in the morning.
    He should be out of action and in traction for at least 8 peaceful weeks.
  • hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Yes you should report it and it will almost certainly be kids on a nicked bike.

If the officer on the phone will not take your report seriously, insist on speaking to the duty inspector about it and raise the matter with the police committe at your local council.

They will eventually have to take it seriously and hopefully before someone is mown down - as happened here.

Even if the police don't turn up, it all goes to the Intel units so jobs can be planned later on.

If you don't report it, don't moan when the police are doing anything about it, if they don't know it won't stop!
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure