SD and HD TV viewing advice

edited 8 March 2013 at 4:51PM in TV MoneySaving
62 replies 9.1K views

Replies

• InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    40" screen size, plasma are certainly the best for SD viewing, no if's...and's or but's.
  • InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    ccsurvival wrote: »

Steer clear of the bargain basement brands as it is a false economy. Saying this, dont go crazy aswell. Brands such as samsung and LG are great.

At current I have seen an offer on a Hitachi 32" HD TV for £269, but that is too small for what you have posted.

A bit of a contradiction, Hitachi only badge TV's these days, usually the " bargain basement " stuff that you have advised against.:rolleyes:
  • deanos wrote: »
    You can get dead pixels with LCD's mopre so than plasmas, screen burn is not an issue anymore, you can get image retention but many sets have built in devices to prevent this happening.

I have to disagree. Whilst plasmas do have a better image, granted they are prone to screen burn, ghosting and pixel failure.

Maybe this is not entirely true in all cases and new technologies have helped reduce this, but everyone I have known who has a plasma, has suffered from one of the above...

It even became a running joke with one of our friends whose plasma permanently has the news logo on the screen due to screenburn that it was lucky he left the Tv on that channel!

In addition to the above is if the screens didnt suffer as much, then why would extended warranties be more expensive for these.

Also, Plasmas use a lot more electricity to run
  • Inactive wrote: »
    A bit of a contradiction, Hitachi only badge TV's these days, usually the " bargain basement " stuff that you have advised against.:rolleyes:

I would say that hitachis arent the most expensive, but not bargain basement. What I mean by bargain basement is your goodmans, albas and brands that you have never heard of but seem to be on great offers.

Saying that however, my original recommendation stands. Your sefest bet is a middle of the road samsung which I would say is an exceptional performer.
  • P.S. if you are looking for a wall bracket, makro has some exceptional offers on at the moment with wall mounts starting from £24
  • aliEnRIKaliEnRIK Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to disagree. Whilst plasmas do have a better image, granted they are prone to screen burn, ghosting and pixel failure.

Maybe this is not entirely true in all cases and new technologies have helped reduce this, but everyone I have known who has a plasma, has suffered from one of the above...

It even became a running joke with one of our friends whose plasma permanently has the news logo on the screen due to screenburn that it was lucky he left the Tv on that channel!

In addition to the above is if the screens didnt suffer as much, then why would extended warranties be more expensive for these.

Also, Plasmas use a lot more electricity to run

My pioneer has no problems and ive had it for 2 years now. It DID have a logo imprinted but thats actually the screen 'running in'. Its now ALL run in and the logo has completely dissapeared (And id put my Pioneer against ANY LCD or Plasma under 1k)

Warranties are more because people dont realise they just need to carry on using their screens for it to clear by itself (Im talking in the NOW, its possible your 'mates' had cr*p quality plasmas)

Properly calibrated Plasmas tend to actually use LESS power than LCDs
    :idea:
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ghosting !

I think not, plasmas have zero response time they suffer from no ghossting whatsoever, LCD's suffer from ghosting as they have response rates lowest i think is 4ms at the moment.

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/myths/response/

My Panasonic plamsa is often left on the news channel for hours on end as sometimes and i have no screen burn.

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/myths/screen-burn/

As for pixel failure its way more common on LCD's than plasmas.
  • shown73shown73 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the viewing angle point also. I can watch my plasma from almost anywhere in the room, but most lcd's are pathetic at anything more than a few degrees. Plasma, no contest, at that size, and can be viewed comfortably at 8 feet.
  • hundredkhundredk Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We bought a 46" samsung plasma, fortunately with 30 day money back gurantee (QVC). The picture on SD was a let down - the screen was just too big and recommended viewing distance was minimum of 10.5 feet (we are about 9 feet away). Also the sound was muffled because no speakers at front and sound is bounced of the wall behind. Most shops will say if you want decent sound, get a separate sound system on top.

We sent it back and trawled the shops all day, making sure we considered sound output too. In the end we decided on 42" panasonic plasma 1080p (only got 1080 cos it was on offer at same price as 720 at the time).

Bear in mind the only HD inputs that are 1080 are blue ray and games consoles so unless you use those the best HD you'll get is 720 which is still v. good compared to SD. Transmissions in 1080 are years away yet IMO.

As for LCD Vs Plamsa its horses for courses - I was dead set on 1080p LCD, mainly because thats what ppl say, future proof etc. Go look at all the TV's next to each other.
  • KathysBoyKathysBoy Forumite
    237 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I agree with the comments about plasma. Also at this level you get what you pay for, so try and buy the best quality. We have a Panasonic 42" which is full HD. We have it set on auto so it uses the best display for the program broadcast. If you go right upto the screen you can see the difference, but from 8 feet away the quality is excellent, BUT there is a noticeable difference if you switch to the SCART input rather than HDMI. Its still okay, but the HDMI signal is crisper. We´ve had it 2 years with no problems at all. I also agree with shown73, in that you can watch it from any angle with no problems.

I´d be surprised in there aren´t any free 5 year guarantee offers considering the state of the market.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides