Morrison's Car Park in Barrow - Scam?

Options

Comments

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I sometimes park in Morrisons, pop up to the highstreet (2 mins) to go to the bank, PO, whatever...get what I want & then go into Morrisons & get my shopping.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    They can keep the car-park for customers by other means. All they need is a barrier and ticket system, with the ticket only being validated if you make a minimum purchase in the store.

I image that the so-called "fine" demanded something like £75 for wrongly parking in the car-park. That is just extortion. All the parking company can claim is the actual loss the supermarket has suffered. This would be a couple of pounds at most.

Surely then,if the car park is in a busy area (I think it is),all that will do is enable people to park cheaply,then go elsewhere,stopping genuine customers being able to park to do their weekly shop.
  • FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    Options
    The last time I went to Morrisons in Rhyl they had a pay and display machine and you had to pay £1 to park there. The ticket had two parts, one to stick in window and a second piece which you hand over at the till when you're paying for your goods and which knocks £1 off your balance. i.e. if you shop there you get your quid back. I'm not sure why more supermarkets don't use this sort of system.
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Surely then,if the car park is in a busy area (I think it is),all that will do is enable people to park cheaply,then go elsewhere,stopping genuine customers being able to park to do their weekly shop.
    Then you make the minimum purchase something like £5 before the ticket is validated. That should deter most "casual" parkers.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • so2006
    so2006 Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    Then you make the minimum purchase something like £5 before the ticket is validated. That should deter most "casual" parkers.

There shouldnt be a minimum spend at all, Becuase if your like me. Somtimes you just want to go get milk etc. :rotfl:

Fatandys morrisons sounds like they are doing something right!

Like he said maybe all of them should do that?

I have parked in asda before and poped into another store etc never got a ticket, if i did i wouldn't pay. There not the council lol
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    or you could go for something that they don't have, meaning you don't spend anything.

in that case, they would be able to charge you because you didn't buy anything, which is of course ludicrous.
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    All the parking company can claim is the actual loss the supermarket has suffered. This would be a couple of pounds at most.

It is not about the money it is about people not being able to park especially in peak hours.It is their land and they should be able fine people what they wish as a deterrent.It is down to selfish people who park at these stores and never use them.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    max2009 wrote: »
    It is not about the money it is about people not being able to park especially in peak hours.It is their land and they should be able fine people what they wish as a deterrent.It is down to selfish people who park at these stores and never use them.

Only the police and local councils can "fine" people. Everyone else has to take a person to the civil courts to prove what loss they have suffered by someone parking on their land. And that would be a few pounds, not something like £75 these private parking companies are claiming
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • itzmee
    itzmee Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    this attitude to parking in a supermarket car park is as bad as people driving the wrong way around them. ie if it's a one way system people take no notice as it doesn't apply to them as it's not a proper road - it makes me mad when we're trying to follow the road markings on a one way system and some plonker decides to block you by coming the opposite way :mad: BTW our local Morrisons is opposite B&Q which never has any spare parking places so everyone parks in Morrisons and crosses the road to B&Q!

My OH is a petrol tanker driver for Morrisons and when he puts cones out to make a delivery some people just ignore them and try to drive around them to get fuel - the cones are there for a [EMAIL="*@***%"]*@***%[/EMAIL]* reason - his safety!!! Sorry, not helpful to OP but just my little rant there ;)
  • oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite
    Options
    itzmee wrote: »
    this attitude to parking in a supermarket car park is as bad as people driving the wrong way around them. ie if it's a one way system people take no notice as it doesn't apply to them as it's not a proper road - it makes me mad when we're trying to follow the road markings on a one way system and some plonker decides to block you by coming the opposite way :mad: BTW our local Morrisons is opposite B&Q which never has any spare parking places so everyone parks in Morrisons and crosses the road to B&Q!

My OH is a petrol tanker driver for Morrisons and when he puts cones out to make a delivery some people just ignore them and try to drive around them to get fuel - the cones are there for a *@***%* reason - his safety!!! Sorry, not helpful to OP but just my little rant there ;)

I seem to recall sometime ago reading research that the standard of driving in downmarket supermarkets such as Morrisons,Aldi and Lidl were very poor. I will see if I can find a link to the research.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure