Morrison's Car Park in Barrow - Scam?

I made the mistake of parking my car in the Barrow In Furness branch of Morrison's yesterday.

I parked at about 11:20am, having read the sign that customers can park free for two hours. I went into town to use the cashpoint, came back went into Morrison's and bought some lunch and a few other bits.

I got back to my car at around 12:25pm to find that it had been ticketed, and the time of ticket issue was 11:28am! I am being asked to pay a £50 fine.

I went into Morrison's to complain and eventually spoke to the deputy manager, John, (who wasn't overly helpful, and looked like he'd spent the last couple of nights sleeping rough), who said he'd check with the car park attendant and call me back, although the car park is actually operated by Euro Car Parks, not Morrison's.

He called back later and explained that because the attendant had seen me walking into town, he'd assumed that I wasn't a customer and issued the ticket. They have a rule (apparently) that states that leaving the supermarket's premises forfeits your right to free parking, and therefore my ticket stands. This isn't mentioned anywhere on any of the car park's signage (I took a couple of pictures on my phone for backup).

I've appealed to Euro Car Parks and sent a letter of complaint to Morrison's, including a photograph of the parking sign and copies of my till receipts.

Has anyone else come across anything like this? I am really hacked off about it!

Comments

• I parked at about 11:20am, having read the sign that customers can park free for two hours. I went into town to use the cashpoint, came back went into Morrison's and bought some lunch and a few other bits.

The point here is that the car park is for customers, as you were not a customer, what did you expect.

My local supermarker it town does exactly the same, although I seem to get away with it by going in to same, and getting £10 out of the cash point, then going into town!
  • scrounger_2
    scrounger_2 Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have heard of several cases similar to this (Hi Nick by the way!), a gentleman successfully appealled to his ticket handed out by Tescos in Hull I think?. You by all accounts still did your shopping at Morrisons, so in all fairness shouldnt have been ticketed. In my opinion for what its worth, I would contest if nothing else the manner the ticket was issued. Good luck with it, and dont give in (easy for me to say!.)
  • mitchb
    mitchb Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I made the mistake of parking my car in the Barrow In Furness branch of Morrison's yesterday.

I went into town to use the cashpoint, came back went into Morrison's and bought some lunch and a few other bits.

Has the morrisons got a cashpoint at it ? Most supermarkets now have atms joined to them.

It does seem harsh but from the morrisons point of view you werent a customer until after you had been ticketed and had been seen using the car park and going elsewhere.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This may help:

"Tickets issued by private companies
    Private companies can issue tickets to drivers parked on their property, but the rules are not the same as local authorities.
    If you receive a ticket in a private car park, such as a supermarket car park, or private multi-story car park, remember that it is not criminal law, but contract law that applies. The driver enters into a contract with the landowner when they driver into the car park.
    This means that it is only the driver that can be subject to a ticket from a private company. If they do not know who the driver was, they cannot claim a penalty. They have no legal right to demand that you identify the driver.
    If you are approached by a member of staff inside a private car park there is no obligation for you to assist them in any way
    If the company wish to pursue a claim in the small claims court, they have to prove that you were the driver of the car. Any comments that you make may assist them in this aim, so best to say nothing.
    If you refuse to pay, the private company has to pursue you through the small claims court. It is up to them to prove a breach of contract so look at the terms carefully. These are usually printed on a sign at the entrance to the car park.
    Additionally, you may be able to reduce any fine issued by a private company. Under contract law, they can only claim for any loss they have suffered because of your offence. They may try to claim a penalty of, say, £100, but in law they may only be entitled to any revenue they had lost. So, if you pay £2 to park for one hour, but stay for three hours, they can only claim for two hours of lost revenue, which is £4."

In short, tell them to get stuffed ! If they wish to take you to Court ( they won't bother anyway !) they would lose, you were a "customer" and the notice did not say that you were not allowed to leave the car park. You complied with the terms of the "contract" - they didn't !

This article was accompanied by a photo of a Morrison's car park !
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There are many threads on this forum about such things, the upshot is that these "fines" are not enforceable.

• NickMidgley
    NickMidgley Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Has the morrisons got a cashpoint at it ? Most supermarkets now have atms joined to them.

Yeah, they do, but I needed an Abbey one. My business account operator card won't work anywhere else.
  • reduceditem
    reduceditem Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Do not appeal. Make no contact with Euro Car Parks. Forget about it. It will go away.
  • max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    I went into town to use the cashpoint, came back went into Morrison's and bought some lunch and a few other bits.

Why did you not use the ATM machine at Morrisons ?
  • ts_aly2000
    ts_aly2000 Posts: 566 Forumite
    Ignore. File the letters, wipe your bum with them, whatever.

It's a scam. Enjoy life. :)
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I find toilet paper much better myself but each to your own ;)
    ts_aly2000 wrote: »
    wipe your bum with them

It's a scam. Enjoy life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills