HD or HD ready?

in TV MoneySaving
53 replies 7K views
first78first78 Forumite
996 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
I need to buy a new tv and am totally confused after looking in the Argos catalogue...why are some tv's described as HD and others HD ready...is there a difference?
«13456

Replies

  • FiferFifer Forumite
    59.4K Posts
    There is a difference. HD ready TVs display at a resolution of 720 lines, HD TVs display 1080 lines so have the potential to display a higher resolution picture.

    However, that doesn't meant HD will necessarily provide a better display. There isn't much true HD material around just now (unless you use Blue Ray or are a gamer) and the methods TVs use to display standard definition and 720 line material on a 1080 TV can result in a poorer picture.

    Also, the difference between HD and HD ready is unlikely to be very noticeable on a 37" or smaller TV.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • first78first78 Forumite
    996 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    So it won't really matter which one I buy and both are compatible for when everywhere goes digital?



    Fifer wrote: »
    There is a difference. HD ready TVs display at a resolution of 720 lines, HD TVs display 1080 lines so have the potential to display a higher resolution picture.

    However, that doesn't meant HD will necessarily provide a better display. There isn't much true HD material around just now (unless you use Blue Ray or are a gamer) and the methods TVs use to display standard definition and 720 line material on a 1080 TV can result in a poorer picture.

    Also, the difference between HD and HD ready is unlikely to be very noticeable on a 37" or smaller TV.
  • Dave101tDave101t Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    the very best, future proof tv's say 1080p on the screen or box.
    if you are looking for an economic hdtv, then 720p will be fine, ans as said the difference cant be seen on tv's less than 37inches or so.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

    new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • FiferFifer Forumite
    59.4K Posts
    first78 wrote: »
    So it won't really matter which one I buy and both are compatible for when everywhere goes digital?

    Both are compatible with requirements for the digital switchover. Perhaps if you post what you plan to use it for (Freeview, Sky, Sky HD, Freesat, DVDs, gaming, Blue Ray, etc?) and what size of screen you are considering, people will be able to suggest options.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • first78first78 Forumite
    996 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a Virgin box but just want a decent tv for the living room, I don't use it for gaming much usually just watching tv or movies...doesn't need to be huge or that high tech. Thanks for the advice :)

    Fifer wrote: »
    Both are compatible with requirements for the digital switchover. Perhaps if you post what you plan to use it for (Freeview, Sky, Sky HD, Freesat, DVDs, gaming, Blue Ray, etc?) and what size of screen you are considering, people will be able to suggest options.
  • FiferFifer Forumite
    59.4K Posts
    My view is that you'd probably be better with a good HD Ready set. Others might have different opinions.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • tomsolomontomsolomon Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Dave101t wrote: »
    the very best, future proof tv's say 1080p on the screen or box.

    You recon...... :cool:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/

    Click the link on the right that says watch now....:D
    To travel at the speed of light, one must first become light.....
  • IdiophreakIdiophreak Forumite
    12K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    first78 wrote: »
    I've got a Virgin box but just want a decent tv for the living room, I don't use it for gaming much usually just watching tv or movies...doesn't need to be huge or that high tech. Thanks for the advice :)

    Do you have a budget in mind?
  • david39david39 Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently bought a 37" Panasonic 1080P HD set with built-in Freesat so I can directly compare the HD 1080P Freesat picture with the same programme showing on Freeview aerial transmission and there is a distinct improvement in quality.
    Although the set contains software that artificially upgrades the standard picture on Freeview to pseudo-1080P, switching to HD Freesat gives a crisper more detailed image. The difference is particularly noticeable when you move back from HD to standard Freeview.

    The Blu-Ray quality at 1080P is superb, too - it leaves DVD standing - the same degree of improvement as from VHS tape to DVD.

    After seeing other peoples' "HD-ready" sets, if you can afford 1080P, I'd say go for it - well worth it in my opinion.

    I agree with the point about 37" minimum - minor regret - wish I'd gone into the 40's
  • thescouselanderthescouselander Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dave101t wrote: »
    the very best, future proof tv's say 1080p on the screen or box.
    if you are looking for an economic hdtv, then 720p will be fine, ans as said the difference cant be seen on tv's less than 37inches or so.


    I would dispute that. You can see the difference on a small screen, it just depends on how far away you are when you are viewing it. As a rule is thumb, if you are within 2 1/2 screen widths from the screen you should be able to see the difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides