Britannia Building Society ISA

Options
Hello All,

I hope someone can advise me.

I have been with the Britannia for several years now, but my ISA has been inactive, basically, I have always shopped around for the best rate and Britannia wasn't! Anyway, Britannia award points for loyalty, and I have been receiving a cheque each year, usually 20 quid or something, not megabucks, however, this year, they have paid the money direct into my ISA. As I have been paying into another ISA this year, I don't know if this is something I should be worried about.

Has anyone else come across this? Should I be worried?

Many thanks

Scoobes

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Have you contacted them about it?
  • scoobes19
    scoobes19 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't actually. I will try and pop into the branch tomorrow and make some enquiries.
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not a problem. It is like interest. In fact it IS interest, delayed until March each year.
  • Baldur
    Options
    RayWolfe wrote: »
    Not a problem. It is like interest. In fact it IS interest, delayed until March each year.
    If that's the case, the OP appears to have missed out on previous years' tax-free interest if, as suggested, it has always been paid by cheque rather than being added to the ISA balance.
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't disagree and when I had ISAs with Brit. I got cheques.
    However the point that the OP was enquiring about, - does this mean a 2008/9 ISA has been created by paying this into an ISA - is not correct because the payment IS deferred interest.
  • Baldur
    Options
    RayWolfe wrote: »
    I don't disagree and when I had ISAs with Brit. I got cheques.
    However the point that the OP was enquiring about, - does this mean a 2008/9 ISA has been created by paying this into an ISA - is not correct because the payment IS deferred interest.
    I wasn't querying your post, Ray - merely musing on the Britannia's practise and the fact that their Cash ISA savers would obviously be losing out on at least a small amount of ongoing tax-free interest through the cheque payment(s).
  • martinman3
    martinman3 Posts: 727 Forumite
    Options
    scoobes19 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I hope someone can advise me.

I have been with the Britannia for several years now, but my ISA has been inactive, basically, I have always shopped around for the best rate and Britannia wasn't! Anyway, Britannia award points for loyalty, and I have been receiving a cheque each year, usually 20 quid or something, not megabucks, however, this year, they have paid the money direct into my ISA. As I have been paying into another ISA this year, I don't know if this is something I should be worried about.

Has anyone else come across this? Should I be worried?

Many thanks

Scoobes

Following the ruling in 2007 by HMRC they treat the Member Reward like tax-free interest.
    http://www.financemarkets.co.uk/2007/09/07/britannia-challenges-hm-revenue-customs-over-tax-exemption-status/
  • scoobes19
    scoobes19 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that's replied. You've all been really helpful :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure