🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Britannia Building Society ISA

Options
Hello All,

I hope someone can advise me.

I have been with the Britannia for several years now, but my ISA has been inactive, basically, I have always shopped around for the best rate and Britannia wasn't! Anyway, Britannia award points for loyalty, and I have been receiving a cheque each year, usually 20 quid or something, not megabucks, however, this year, they have paid the money direct into my ISA. As I have been paying into another ISA this year, I don't know if this is something I should be worried about.

Has anyone else come across this? Should I be worried?

Many thanks

Scoobes

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Have you contacted them about it?
  • scoobes19
    scoobes19 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't actually. I will try and pop into the branch tomorrow and make some enquiries.
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not a problem. It is like interest. In fact it IS interest, delayed until March each year.
  • Baldur
    Options
    RayWolfe wrote: »
    Not a problem. It is like interest. In fact it IS interest, delayed until March each year.
    If that's the case, the OP appears to have missed out on previous years' tax-free interest if, as suggested, it has always been paid by cheque rather than being added to the ISA balance.
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't disagree and when I had ISAs with Brit. I got cheques.
    However the point that the OP was enquiring about, - does this mean a 2008/9 ISA has been created by paying this into an ISA - is not correct because the payment IS deferred interest.
  • Baldur
    Options
    RayWolfe wrote: »
    I don't disagree and when I had ISAs with Brit. I got cheques.
    However the point that the OP was enquiring about, - does this mean a 2008/9 ISA has been created by paying this into an ISA - is not correct because the payment IS deferred interest.
    I wasn't querying your post, Ray - merely musing on the Britannia's practise and the fact that their Cash ISA savers would obviously be losing out on at least a small amount of ongoing tax-free interest through the cheque payment(s).
  • martinman3
    martinman3 Posts: 727 Forumite
    Options
    scoobes19 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I hope someone can advise me.

I have been with the Britannia for several years now, but my ISA has been inactive, basically, I have always shopped around for the best rate and Britannia wasn't! Anyway, Britannia award points for loyalty, and I have been receiving a cheque each year, usually 20 quid or something, not megabucks, however, this year, they have paid the money direct into my ISA. As I have been paying into another ISA this year, I don't know if this is something I should be worried about.

Has anyone else come across this? Should I be worried?

Many thanks

Scoobes

Following the ruling in 2007 by HMRC they treat the Member Reward like tax-free interest.
    http://www.financemarkets.co.uk/2007/09/07/britannia-challenges-hm-revenue-customs-over-tax-exemption-status/
  • scoobes19
    scoobes19 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that's replied. You've all been really helpful :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport