Forum Home» Phones & TV

Orchid Dialler Discount - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Orchid Dialler Discount

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
871 replies 147.7K views

Replies

• Leaphase - Just to clarify that 1899 is 3 pence for the connection - the rate per minute is 0 pence ;)
  • HI

As mentioned ,Orchid list an 0870 number for the dialler to contact to download the routing instructions.

However, in fairness , Orchid now also give a proper o1XXXX geo number which you can choose to use.

Although I too detest 0870/0845 numbers the dialler only dials home yearly after you have set up the routing so even using an 0870 number is no big deal.

I must comment on the service. I 'phoned Orchid several times when I first got my diallers and found them to be most helpful.

Emails were replied to by return so a big thumbs up to Orchid after sales service

Martin
  • The cynic in me was slightly amused to see the Contact No for this company is an 0870 number, I thought the idea was to save money!
    Although I too detest 0870/0845 numbers the dialler only dials home yearly after you have set up the routing so even using an 0870 number is no big deal.

Both slightly unfair and a tad misleading. Orchid now actively encourages the use of its geographic number for the dialler call home function. Not only that, there is also a routing code that uses the 18866 prefix to call home because they too have thought that the idea was to save money!!

Even better they have taken it a step further by advising customers by e-mail that there can be a problem using the 18866 routing code and how to fix it. Here is Orchid's latest Technical Bulletin e-mail:

Dear Customer

Further to our previous technical bulletin concerning Carrier Prefixed Call Home No.s such as the 18866#01536272200 number for example, having monitored the incoming call stats over the past weeks we've seen a significant increase in the number of calls being routed back into the UK Network from abroad. This has the effect of incorrectly presenting the telephone number of the line your V4 product is installed on, applying a 0044 prefix and dropping the first 0 of the STD Code, causing the call to be terminated as an unknown CLI by the platform.

Unfortunately as we cannot guarantee the successful connection of any product using a carrier prefixed call home number, we strongly recommend that you either select our alternative 01536272200 Geographic number or only continue to use your Carrier Prefixed number having enabled your products 'Lock Cli' function.

......and no I don't work for them. I just think that they have a brilliant product that has helped me reduce my total phone bill from over £50 pcm to under £15.

Their customer support is second to none. As an example I requested unique routing codes so I could route calls to my 3 mobiles through TalkTalk Calling Circle during weekdays rather than the 18866/1899 I usually use for calls to all other mobiles. It was done in less than a day!! :)

8)

TOG
    604!
  • btw Mods - shouldn't this be a sticky. It's a good ongoing deal :D

8)

TOG
    604!
  • Since I have used 3u telecom's prefix 1664 when dialling 1845/ 0880 numbers my bills have fallen drastically. They are very helpful and can be contacted on 0800 279 0091 or https://www.3utelecom.co.uk. I had to disconect onetel's carrier pre selection service before the prefix would work.
  • 0845/0870 are the number I meant to write.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I never feel uncomfortable about asking dumb questions because I like to feel there are folk like me who fail to comprehend this technical stuff.

My question is, having looked at the Orchid Dialler picture on their site, it appears to be a flat item. So where and how do you

1) attach to the main BT box ?

2) attach your telephone cable ?

3) assuming there is provision for them both on the reverse, ............

4) how do you then programe in the prefix's to enable your call to pass through the appropriate provider ?

Thanks in anticipation.
  • digitaldigital Forumite
    208 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    So where and how do you

1) attach to the main BT box ?
    A short cable is provided to connect the dialler to your BT box. It plugs in just like any other telephone equipment.
    2) attach your telephone cable ?
    There are two sockets on the side of the dialler.
    4) how do you then programe in the prefix's to enable your call to pass through the appropriate provider ?
    You download Orchid's CWClient software and use that. There are a couple of samples to work from included.

Once you have set up the routing the software sends it to Orchid's server and you then force the dialler to connect to Orchid's server by using the keys on your phone.

All of the above applies to the V4Plus dialler. I have no experience of the cheaper version.

If you go to Orchid's site you can download the Quick Start User Guide from http://www.orchid-electronics.com/QuickStartUserGuide.pdf
    digital
  • btw Mods - shouldn't this be a sticky.  It's a good ongoing deal  :D

Bump ;)

C'mon Mods. How about the sticky??? Especially since the OP was MSE Martin and the deal is exclusive to Moneysavers :D

I'm sure many of us are making excellent savings through the use of this great piece of kit. Shame to lose sight of the discount when the thread falls off the front page.

8)

TOG
    604!
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As I am the guy that asks the dumb questions, here is another, why the 604.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support