Barclays Golden ISA feedback

Options

Comments

• StAnToN_2
    StAnToN_2 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    ali1972 wrote: »
    Yes, she tried to say "Well, I can see £xx,xxx went into your account last year" and I said "That's before my business expenses come out, so you're well off the mark." They are going to end up with extremely inaccurate data if they make it up themselves.

As for "apply" or "open" - aren't they are rather desperate for our (the savers') money? Just semantics in the current economic climate I would have thought.

We (referring to Barclays) are certainly not desperate for savers' money.
    Personal Banker at Barclays
  • MusRo
    MusRo Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum, but thought I should share my experience of setting up a Golden ISA in branch with Barclays. I have to say, it was a very pleasant experience. I have never dealt with Barclays before, but I was seated with a personal banker within two minutes of walking into the branch, even though I had no appointment and it was a busy Saturday morning. The lady was really helpful and the account was set up in about 10 minutes. She did ask a lot of questions, some of which I felt were not relevant to the setting up of an ISA (such as: how much is your house worth, how much was your mortgage etc..). I have been told that a welcome pack will arrive within 5 working days so I will keep you posted :).
  • cbrpaul
    cbrpaul Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nice 1 MusRo ,

I see you like to put caps in your username also , just like StAnTon do you work inthe same branch :rotfl:

only jk ;)
  • chirpchirp
    chirpchirp Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I opened a Barclays golden ISA on the 7th April after having to return to the branch as they were so busy on the 6th. I meat with a very pleasant lady, who asked me lots of income related questions etc and tooks lots of details which I thought weren't relevant to my ISA but would help them to sell to me at a later date. I remember being surprised that they had the date I had moved into this house on their system as many years ago I had a credit card with them.

My account appears to have opened up ok, I paid 2 cheques in when I opened it and she told me I could transfer money from my Lloyds current account for future payments. I will know later in the week if this has worked or not.

Does anyone know if I get will a statement each month that interest is added?
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chirpchirp wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I get will a statement each month that interest is added?
    Statement is sent one year after opening, or on closure/transfer.
  • ali1972
    ali1972 Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    StAnToN wrote: »
    We (referring to Barclays) are certainly not desperate for savers' money.

Yeah, right. All the banks are. Not even worth being defensive about it. The banking industry is up the spout, but I'm sure Barclays appreciate you appointing yourself as a PR officer.
    Yeah, whatever. I'm a grown up, I can take it...
  • StAnToN_2
    StAnToN_2 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, right. All the banks are. Not even worth being defensive about it. The banking industry is up the spout, but I'm sure Barclays appreciate you appointing yourself as a PR officer.

If you can give me facts to back your statement up about Barclays being desperate for savers money please kindly direct me towards them.:rolleyes:

And what do you define as 'up the spout'? If you are referring to certain banks incompetence, lending money to people that cant afford to repay then I agree with you.

Barclays dont offer 100% mortgages for a start...

And in regards to your 'PR officer' comment, was that a cheap pop, rather than providing facts to back up your statement? Way to go, +1 to you!;)
    Personal Banker at Barclays
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options

We're so desperate for money that in the past three months we...
    1. Declined to take part in the government's toxic asset insurance scheme;
    2. Recently announced an additional £11 billion of lending to personal customers and small-to-medium enterprises;
    3. Cut the interest rates on Woolwich-brand mortgages twice, above and beyond the base rate adjustments;
    4. Cut the interest rates - and then froze them - for over three million Barclaycard customers;
    5. Continued our development strategy in the emerging markets and acquired Akita, soon to be Barclays Bank Indonesia.
    God, we sure do seem up against it!

We've had our troubles, sure - and I say we as an investor and long time staff member - but we've made our way through it, and didn't take a penny from the taxpayer to do it, I'm sure you'll be glad to know.

Yes, the industry is up the spout. There's no denying that. But our share price has gone, this year, from 53p to over 230p - investors are, undeniably, confident in Barclays.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • ali1972
    Options
    We're so desperate for money that in the past three months we...
    1. Declined to take part in the government's toxic asset insurance scheme;
    2. Recently announced an additional £11 billion of lending to personal customers and small-to-medium enterprises;
    3. Cut the interest rates on Woolwich-brand mortgages twice, above and beyond the base rate adjustments;
    4. Cut the interest rates - and then froze them - for over three million Barclaycard customers;
    5. Continued our development strategy in the emerging markets and acquired Akita, soon to be Barclays Bank Indonesia.
    God, we sure do seem up against it!

We've had our troubles, sure - and I say we as an investor and long time staff member - but we've made our way through it, and didn't take a penny from the taxpayer to do it, I'm sure you'll be glad to know.

Yes, the industry is up the spout. There's no denying that. But our share price has gone, this year, from 53p to over 230p - investors are, undeniably, confident in Barclays.

If Barclays weren't gagging for our savings then I suspect they wouldn't be offering 3.61% in the first place. The very fact they did not take part in the government toxic asset insurance scheme has meant they have had to find funds from various other sources merely to prove that they can avoid doing so. And of course its decision, whilst based on several factors, is nothing to do with the restrictions on pay and bonuses that participation in the scheme would involve? I'm sure you're glad to know that.

This constant defensive posting by Barclays staff on a consumer website is doing wonders for Barclays' image. Just how much is Barclays aware that their staff are doing this? Is it company policy or are you a bunch of renegade bankers? A scroll through this board show that the extraordinary thing is that these responses don't really address customer's valid complaints - such as mine of over zealous gathering of data - they just involve staff members stamping their feet and insisting they're right and their way is best. This forum is factually for consumers to compare notes on our experiences of this product. I, for one, am delighted to see that I am not alone in my experiences.

Barclays Customer For 19 Years.
  • ali1972
    Options
    StAnToN wrote: »
    Barclays dont offer 100% mortgages for a start...

What do you want, a medal for not doing something stupid? Can I have one for not jaywalking to work this morning?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure