PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thread - Sunday 8th March

Options
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Sunday 8th March. This is an 'Over the garden fence' type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly, but if not, it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two Daily Threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new Daily Thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start is just as good!

Morning OS friends!

RedRuby and Silvercharming - Happy belated birthday to you both, hope you had a really nice day!
Snowy - My OH said the same thing - someone else could have had my hospital appt. By the way, I use my Tescos vouchers just on my shopping, I never use the deals.
Yorkshirechick - Congrats on the pregnancy hon!
Sistercas - So sorry to hear about your DH. It is awful watching someone in pain, I know. Hope the GP can sort something out for him.
Tiredmum - I think you just described how the factory makes those Ru*****s microwavable burgers!
Essex - Yes, Tris will fight til the last minute I know.
Silvercharming - giggle.gif So sorry to make you feel queasy.. :rotfl:
celyn90 - I would do as others have suggested - when she isn't around, swap them into a vase she can take home with her and hide your precious vase where no one can find it!

Don't have much planned for today yet. Hoping my OH can get my garden bench out of storage and back into the garden so the next sunny day we have I can get out and start preparing all my tubs and pots for the summer. It all looks very unloved although my Goji berry plant has new leaves on it and the garlic is looking good. Unfortunately the pen I used to write on the tags, telling me what kind of garlic it was, has washed off during the winter. It said it was a permanant marker too!

Treated myself to some Yankee candle samplers. This company HERE have them on special offer for just £1.13 each with LOTS of lovely scents I haven't tried! Postage is only £3 too so much cheaper than QVC.

Been drying as much washing as possible outside, or at least giving it a good blow through while the sun is out. Am about to put the WM on now.

The house is a bit messier than usual as I had to cancel my home help lady on Friday. The company rang on Thurs telling me they had to change the time. (my normal lady is on holiday). Unfortunately with my OH working two jobs on a friday and my hospital appt there was no way we could be here at the times they wanted.

Oh and I have officially signed up for my first blog, just got to work out how to use it! Am still ridiculously excited over the fact that some of my frogs made it back to spawn!

Ok, well I hope everyone has a peaceful and loving Sunday - warm gentle hugs bighug.gif to all those who want one.

Diva.x
To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

Comments

• mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

RedRuby - I'm so sorry I missed your birthday; I hope you had a brilliant day.

Sistercas - lots of (((hugs))) to your DH; it sounds as if he is really suffering.

MSD - (((hugs))) to Tristan.

Well, we've been packing like mad and it seems as if we'll never get done in time. We move two weeks from yesterday! Besides packing, we've been organising all the other things we need, like mail redirection, sorting out utilities and so on - it's been a nightmare. I remember the last time we moved house within the UK, and it was a pain then. We have bits of paper and lists everywhere, and keep remembering things so, as soon as we tick something off one of the lists, we have to add another!

Still, at least I'm being very OS because I'm running down the freezer, so we're eating all sorts of odd combinations of food.

Today is more of the same - packing and paperwork, and fitting meals in when I remember. Today will be a roast using left over turkey from Christmas.

I'm afraid I've really been neglecting the thread lately, just dipping in and out and speed-reading, so (((hugs))) to all in need and I hope to catch up properly one day!

Have a great Sunday.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • betheebee
    betheebee Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    Morning,
    DH and I both woke at 4am so deceided to get up. After a couple of coffees I'll get back to sewing the curtains. I have the sides and hems to do by hand.

Doing roast beef and all trimmings for DH, DD2 and SIL2b, DD is doing fine but I don't want her stood for to long cooking as the swelling in her limbs are still causing probs. Think I'll do an apple crumble for pud.

MIOLIERE, You have a lot going on but it will be worth it once you're in France.
    MSD, Signs of spring are all over and I look forward to starting on the wilderness, er garden.

Back soonly, have a good day.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Morning.

Had a nice lie in after going to bed at 9. I was pooped. Our fishing trip was great. We left Looe at 5am and by just after 6 were around the Eddystone where we were greeted by a magnificent sunrise and pod of porpoises swimming and jumping around the boat. Fish were scarce, but after 12 hours angling we all had some good fish and aching limbs. We got back to port just as the drizzel started. Curry for tea and a nice bottle of red from ASDA 3 for £10 and I was asleep in the chair by 8.
    I did get the tackle out (good old British smutty innuendo eh?) I know one thing. (It's true what they say about Peeing in the wind)
    Several pounds of nice Pollack and Ling fillet in the fridge
    Looks a to be a fair day out there this morning. Church then Sunday lunch and may be a bit of gardening...

Have a nice day
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Squiggly_Diddly
    Squiggly_Diddly Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all,

looks like a beautiful spring day outside the window :) This morning I am going to B&Q when it opens at 10am with oldest DD to get her some shelving for her room, then I will spend the rest of the day mainly studying (although I feel in a procrastinating mood....). Mate probably popping round this evening then for a cuppa.

Forgot to get the chicken out the freezer yesterday, d'oh!!! So today will be jacket pots (as I've got time to bake them in the oven from scratch so they will be lovely & crispy). Youngest is out with her father anyhow (not that that guarantees he gives her dinner...).

N9eav, you & your tackle amused the whole thread yesterday I think :)
    Kathy, your life must be a whirlwind at the moment, but very exciting!
    MSD, thanks for the linky for the Yankee candles, I lurve them - fresh cut roses is one of my favourites. (PS - dont' they do a Cheesecake one??!?!)

Anyhow, like Beth, time for another drink for me (though I'm a PG tips girl :) )

(((hugs))) for those having tough times, have a good day all.
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

• kal25
    kal25 Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    Morning guys,
    :grouphug: to those that need one. Hope you are all having a good weekend.
    N9eav glad you had a good fishing trip and the weather stayed ok for you.

well yesterday my lads did their swimming badges so was very proud:D .
    Still not quite finished DD room off but getting there. Mum said she got a stairgate we can have..will be picking that up today....as she is the reason I am up now drinking :coffee::rolleyes: .
    Made a curry last night that DH was dubious about...he seemed to tink we needed cream. Well I made mine without and both our plates was clean:p .

Won't be cooking today as MIL has come back from 6 months in thailand and so we having sunday dinner round there.
    Just got loads of washing and ironing to do...hopefully less of the ironing :rolleyes: .

Hope the sun stays shining and all of you have a nice day.
    Kal25
    :smileyhea:heart: Mrs Lea Nov 5th '11 :heart::smileyhea
  • christabell
    christabell Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :D Good morning, just about to go get my second coffee.....been reading the papers on line.:D

What moneysaving can I do today?????? :T I did some very creative (Enron/WorldCom) style accounting last week,:rotfl: :rotfl: and now I am not allowed to spend any more money until I get paid this Thursday:eek: and that's been from last SATURDAY, not yesterday:eek: :eek: :eek: ........Oh Well:A
    Today, my BEST is good enough.
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all
    Loved the joke BB, it remided me of a lady I used to work with.
    Belated Happy birthday to Red Ruby, Metherer & Silver Charming.
    Glad you got a good catch N9eav.
    Hugs to those in need.
    I managed to blitz the kitchen yesterday, the table was covered with paper work from where I'd changed bank accounts & restarted all my DD's.
    Washing on the line yesterday & again today, roast chicken for dinner today, rubber chicken for the rest of the week.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone! :hello:

Thankyou everyone for the birthday wishes, my actual birthday was Tuesday but yesterday was when I actually celebrated it... guess what? No hangover! Which makes me feel so old. Not feeling the need to drink oneself into oblivion at ones own birthday party is surely a sign of being a proper grown-up?!

Dave, on the other hand, has fared less well and has put off the carp-fishing expedition that was due for today :rotfl: What he doesn't realise is that I've no intention of letting him lounge around the house today. I have auctions beginning, auctions endig and lots and lots of little jobs he can help me with! ;) I may have to bribe him with a cooked breakfast first, but it'll be worth it!

Not much OS going on today - my friend cleaned top to bottom for my birthday present (we do the same for one another every year) so it's spotless. Lunch is left-over pizza from last night and dinner is a batch-made HM pie from the freezer with mash and veg.

Celyn - I do hope you survive the MIL. I can't offer any advice cos the only way I can deal with mine is by pretending she doesn't exist. But certainly she can't have your vase! SOmeone else mentioned moving them into any old pint glass / pickle jar etc that happens to be around, and I would be inclined to agree. But in the interest of friendliness, decorate it with som nice wrapping paper or tissue paper first, it might make things friendlier, and I think once she realises that the vase she assumed was part of her gift is in fact her future daughter-in-law's prized possession, she'll probably be mortified.

Kathy - ins't house moving meant to be the most stressful life experience after bereavement and divorce? it sounds it, but it also sounds like you're organised and that you're slowly getting there! Good luck with it xx

Have a good day everyone xxx
  • stefejb
    stefejb Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    Options
    morning all

moliere - good luck - i hate packing of any kind but it will be worth it.

transport museuem was awful - not the proper one but a ramshackle depot in Acton which was for proper enthusisasts and model makers - the queue took an hour and a quarter to get through but dgs(4) loved it. We got to ride on the very first routemaster bus - yawn yawn. I will take him to the covent garden one next time - he was very very good though bless

dd(19) has cut and coloured my hair in preparation for next (hopefully dirty) weekend so that leaves me free today to do some serious cleaning and baking. I've got monday off to see the audiologist first thing and then boiler service in the afternoon but the boilerman came round yesterday so am debating wether to go into work tomorrow after dd(12)'s appt or stay home and finish the painting - decisions decisions

have a good day everyone
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

I had such a fabulous day yesterday, thank you all so much for the Birthday wishes, what a nice bunch you are, :kisses: .

Last night my OH had arranged for us to go out somewhere, and it was a supprise, I still did not know as we were in the taxi on the way there, anyway he had arranged a meal in a pub right out in the middle of the countryside, which my parents used to own, and the place were I grew up, it was the most fantastic supprise, and my parents were there, and my sis and her OH, it bought back so many memories, and the food was simply stunning, I had whitebait, and a fillet steak, which was cooked to perfection, with a sort of fried bread disc on the top and pate underneath, it was delish.

They also bought out a cake with 40 candles on and the whole place sang Happy Birthday to me :o , the bill was a bit :eek: but its only once in a while.

So today back to os, roast pork for dinner, and a quick tidy round, I think the washing basket is almost empty, so that can hang on untill tomorrow.

We are off to the carboot sale later, and I would like to go to Lidl, for some washing powder and breakfast cereal. Will fit a walk in somewhere too.

Kathy, are you selling your house when you go to France ? I thought you were keeping it, and leaving it here for when you return, if you are selling that is a huge amount of work for you to do, good luck with everything xx

Sistercas, how is your DH doing ? hugs to him xx

Crisca, hopefully your grand daughter will be home by now and more settled xx

smoky :rotfl: :eek: :o at you and the panty liner / policeman, I would have been mortified x

Hugs to all today, have a good one xx

Edited to say I love my Wii and Wii fit, thanks to all who advised me to get one, it is going to get a lot of use in this house, I am the champion ski jumper here :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure