Nationwide card reader: they've gone too far

Replies

• menhim_2menhim_2 Forumite
    68 Posts
    jadex wrote: »
    Hi rb10,
    The definitive proof would be to try for the 3rd time, getting the message it's blocked and then checking the card in ATM.
    Obviously, I am not asking you to do that.
    The message is only a message. No action could be taken.
    According to the guys on another forum, the card is not blocked.
    At least their cards in their readers.

heehee, you would be well popular if everyone decided to try your suggestions and then find they cant use their card for ANYTHING, not even ATM LOL.

Cant remember now how OH got his card unlocked, think he had to get a new PIN and a right rigmarole to get it all sorted out. It has now been put away safely out of my reach ;-)
  • jadexjadex Forumite
    724 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    that's why I've thanked for your post :beer:
  • bankersmugbankersmug Forumite
    156 Posts
    I haven't been asked to use it when transferring between Flex & eSavings either. However, I do find it infuriating to have to use it every time I want to pay people who are already on my approved payees list. I have a Tesco account which uses a card reader, but it is only needed when you first add a new payee, which seems much more sensible.

I wrote to them complaining that it negated much of the convenience factor fo online banking, as I might want to do a payment at work or when I'm out for the day or on holiday, but the reader is at home so I can't, but got no answer.

I have since found out that the readers from all banks are interchangeable, so now I keep the NW one at home and the Tesco one at work, and can use either one for either bank.

Must've been a glitch in the system as it's now working.

Tesco sound like they've got the right idea - I'm a gadget lover and I loathe this hideous piece of apparatus.
  • MPH80MPH80 Forumite
    973 Posts
    jadex wrote: »
    Last week I was asked to use card reader to make a transfer between my accounts (I used quick transfer boxes). I gave up as it was 3 a.m.
    In the morning tried it again and wasn't asked to use it at all. :confused:

Nationwide do say that they have differing criteria as to when they'll ask for it.

3am was probably a good clue to them - as most people in this country aren't awake and thus it could well be coming in from a foreign country and be fraud!
  • Cozworth806Cozworth806 Forumite
    530 Posts
    Given that Lloyds only ask for a password to transfer money is a serious bonus over Nationwide online banking.

BTW did you know that although the process is different the nationwide and Nat West card readers are interchangeable
    Nothing to see here :beer:
  • rb10rb10 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    MPH80 wrote: »
    3am was probably a good clue to them - as most people in this country aren't awake and thus it could well be coming in from a foreign country and be fraud!

Nationwide should be able to tell that the poster was accessing their website from in the UK though. I expect it was just a glitch in the system.
  • jadexjadex Forumite
    724 Posts
    Forumite
    MPH80 wrote: »
    Nationwide do say that they have differing criteria as to when they'll ask for it.

Well, that could be the reason but how can someone commit fraud by transferring money over the internet from an account which has only cash card (no debit card and no cheques) to another account which has only on-line presence (e-savings) and belongs to the very same person?
    It must be a glitch as rb10 has pointed out.
    But I am going to check it at 3am tonight :)
  • jadexjadex Forumite
    724 Posts
    Forumite
    It's 3am again and I wasn't asked to use my card reader :)
  • MPH80MPH80 Forumite
    973 Posts
    rb10 wrote: »
    Nationwide should be able to tell that the poster was accessing their website from in the UK though. I expect it was just a glitch in the system.

An anonymous proxy is an easy bypass to IP address checking.
    It's 3am again and I wasn't asked to use my card reader :)

Well that blows my theory up ...
  • furndirefurndire Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The card reader is certainly a pain. I have a Halifax account, and am veering towards putting all money in there, and just have a bit in Nationwide for when we travel round Europe. Totally stupid system!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals