Nationwide card reader: they've gone too far

Comments

• jadex
    jadex Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have since found out that the readers from all banks are interchangeable, so now I keep the NW one at home and the Tesco one at work, and can use either one for either bank.
    And now, if you find (or pickpocket) someones card which is compatible, you can just put it into your reader, then try maximum 9999 combinations to find out a PIN.
    Card won't be swallen or blocked as it is when you make 3 errors in ATM or in the shop. Then just go the nearest ATM with hoodie on to take someones money.
    And they call it a "security" device. :mad:
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I really was shocked when my parents first got these...the idea that they expect you to put your pin into the thing is just *mental*. Would have been much better just to have given out a personalised key-fob or similar that generates a unique code for the person in question when activated - so unless you have the fob you can't get access - would have had all of the advantages of the card readers, none of the drawbacks, it would have been more portable but might have cost a bit more to set up, I guess - as each one would have to be personalised...
  • mroller
    mroller Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jadex wrote: »
    And now, if you find (or pickpocket) someones card which is compatible, you can just put it into your reader, then try maximum 9999 combinations to find out a PIN.
    Card won't be swallen or blocked as it is when you make 3 errors in ATM or in the shop. Then just go the nearest ATM with hoodie on to take someones money.

Are you sure it won't be blocked after 3 wrong attempts?

Sounds like a serious security lapse to me
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    jadex wrote: »
    I'm sure that three unsuccessful attempts on the PIN in the card reader leads to the card 'blocking' itself against further attempts until 'reset' - so that doesn't work.
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Squish_21
    Squish_21 Posts: 676 Forumite
    I have a card reader for Nationwide but have never been requested to use it!
    Squish
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To be honest, I don't think these card readers actually improve the security (although if someone throws some official stats at me I will change my mind) but instead just makes people feel safer.

I know someone who would never buy online. She now buys lots online as she thinks entering a Verified by Visa password will stop any fraud - which obviously isn't the case.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Milarky wrote: »
    I'm sure that three unsuccessful attempts on the PIN in the card reader leads to the card 'blocking' itself against further attempts until 'reset' - so that doesn't work.

Yes, I've just tried this out on mine. If you put in the wrong PIN, it will say WRONG PIN, TRY AGAIN, TRIES LEFT: 2, then do it again and it will say WRONG PIN, TRY AGAIN, LAST PIN TRY

Then putting the correct one in will reset it.
  • menhim_2
    menhim_2 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    OT, I know, but does anyone know if First Direct use these?

Just about to open a new account and won't have any part of this cardreader nonsense.

First Direct dont use card reader at the moment, but that may change. Reading some of the other posts about fraudulent online transactions, I can see more banks changing to card reader in the future. Nationwide are very extreme in their requirements of having to use it for every transaction.

I personally dont like First Direct's online banking, but other people disagree. If you are thinking of opening a First Direct account, go via WePromiseTo cashback site, they are offering a £75 cashback, that is on top of your £100 from First Direct. I missed that incentive and kicking myself now :( Easy to set up account with WePromiseTo if you dont have one, and if you go via this link, I will earn £1.00 for recommending you ;-)

http://www.wepromiseto.co.uk/r/20083
  • jadex
    jadex Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    rb10 wrote: »
    Yes, I've just tried this out on mine. If you put in the wrong PIN, it will say WRONG PIN, TRY AGAIN, TRIES LEFT: 2, then do it again and it will say WRONG PIN, TRY AGAIN, LAST PIN TRY

Hi rb10,
    The definitive proof would be to try for the 3rd time, getting the message it's blocked and then checking the card in ATM.
    Obviously, I am not asking you to do that.
    The message is only a message. No action could be taken.
    According to the guys on another forum, the card is not blocked.
    At least their cards in their readers.
  • menhim_2
    menhim_2 Posts: 68 Forumite
    rb10 wrote: »

Yip ... three wrong attempts and the card is locked and cant be used for anything. Did it by mistake when I picked up OH card by mistake and kept trying to enter my PIN ... he was not well pleased :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure