Bt Line Rental.... But I Don't Use It!!!!!

Options
HI

Apologies if this has been asked before....

The only reason why I have a BT landline is to have internet connection (broadband) I don't use my landline at all... but if I cancel with BT I will have to cancel the broadband which I don't want to do as I don't want to lose my btinternet email address........

any ideas?

Thank you :grinheart

Comments

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Change to a less costly landline provider?

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • baloola
    baloola Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks but as I said I would rather keep my Bt broadband account.

So the question is how to get around having BT as internet provider (don't want to lose my email address) but no land line as I don't use it. It kills me paying the £10 a month for something I never use.

Any ideas?
  • helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    Im a little confused, you say you dont use it, but you do! you need a line to use BB, therefore you do use your line to which you pay BT line rental too :confused:
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have a BT line and I only use it for BB. Unfortunatley you need a landline to have BB.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • natjay_2
    natjay_2 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    baloola wrote:
    Thanks but as I said I would rather keep my Bt broadband account.

So the question is how to get around having BT as internet provider (don't want to lose my email address) but no land line as I don't use it. It kills me paying the £10 a month for something I never use.

Any ideas?

if you dont use your bt line then how does your broadband get from the local exchange to your house?
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the best you can do is make sure you're on the cheapest line rental package. I think the have an occasional/very low user one.
  • baloola
    baloola Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    oops sorry I meant I don't use it for phone calls ... Stupid me!!!! sorry guys and thank you for opening my eyes...

So I guess my broadband cost £29 pm + £10 line rental..... :-(

Have a great weekend you all
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    why not swap line rental to the post office
    they give you £50 off over the first year & quidco gives you £30 for joing - thats going to cover you for a few line rental
    ( They say current BB will not be touched, but ask, also BT BB might not be as cheap if you are not adding it to a BT line bill)

--

There are a few "wireless" options

using a mobile for interenet access - but not cheap

Also wireless BB in some areas, don't know much about it , but read http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=wirelessbb
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    payless wrote:
    BT BB might not be as cheap if you are not adding it to a BT line bill
    BT BB isn't 'cheap' at £29/month it's quite expensive.
  • Nicholas
    Options
    baloola wrote:
    HI

Apologies if this has been asked before....

The only reason why I have a BT landline is to have internet connection (broadband) I don't use my landline at all... but if I cancel with BT I will have to cancel the broadband which I don't want to do as I don't want to lose my btinternet email address........

any ideas?

Thank you :grinheart

I take it you are not in a cable area ie NTL/Telewest. If you are, you can get away with just having broadband. As for losing your e-mail address, I wised up to this years ago, and opted for a Hotmail account. In that time, I changed providers a few times and still have the same e-mail address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure