🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Paying for a uniform - KFC?

Options

Comments

• hazelc56
    Options
    Found this on ehow.co.uk (employees rights)( Googled)Dont know if it is correct or not.
    Uniform Requirements
    • In general, employers can require any type of employee to wear a uniform while on the job. This can range from a specific uniform to a more general dress code, such as a shirt and tie or a white dress shirt with a black skirt or pants. Employees may face dress code requirements whether thy are full- or part-time workers, and regardless of their positions or industries. According to the website Nolo, federal law allows employees to take tax deductions for any money they spent on
      Payment
      • In general, state laws require employers to pay for any specific uniforms they require, while employees must pay for more general work uniforms themselves. States define employees' rights to receive work uniforms free of charge by whether the uniform could be worn at another job or for a different employer. For example, employees are responsible for buying general dress clothes, even in specific colors, while they have the right to receive uniforms with logos or the company name free of charge from the employer.

purchasing or maintaining work uniforms.

• hazelc56
    Options
    AND ALSO THIS same place
    Deposits
    • Employers can legally collect security deposits from employees for any uniforms the employer provides. The purpose of a deposit is to cover the cost of the uniform if the employee loses or fails to return it. Employees have the right to receive their uniform deposits back if and when they return all uniforms in acceptable condition, which includes the provision for normal wear and tear based on the quality and life of the uniform. Employees who sign employment contracts are bound by the uniform policies they agree to with regards to security deposit returns and withholdings.

Maintenance
    • Even when employees have the right to free uniforms, they are still responsible for paying for maintenance and cleaning. Since uniform cleaning takes the place of general clothing maintenance in regards to what employees would otherwise wear on the job, employers do not need to provide cleaning services or laundry facilities. Employees are also responsible for wearing their uniforms in accordance with company guidelines, which may state that uniforms need to be clean, tucked in or unaltered.

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are all KFCs owned by KFC, or are many of them franchises?

I know that silver service waiters/waitresses in hotels/function rooms have to provide their own "black and whites".
  • Artofdookie
    Artofdookie Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    Options
    Tasty chicken though
    Well I Love Tv And I Love T. Rex, I Can See Through Your Skirt I've Got X-Ray Spex
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hazelc56 wrote: »
    Found this on ehow.co.uk (employees rights)( Googled)Dont know if it is correct or not.
    Uniform Requirements
    • In general, employers can require any type of employee to wear a uniform while on the job. This can range from a specific uniform to a more general dress code, such as a shirt and tie or a white dress shirt with a black skirt or pants. Employees may face dress code requirements whether thy are full- or part-time workers, and regardless of their positions or industries. According to the website Nolo, federal law allows employees to take tax deductions for any money they spent on
      Payment
      • In general, state laws require employers to pay for any specific uniforms they require, while employees must pay for more general work uniforms themselves. States define employees' rights to receive work uniforms freeofcharge by whether the uniform could be worn at another job or for a different employer. For example, employees are responsible for buying general dress clothes, even in specific colors, while they have the right to receive uniforms with logos or the company name free of charge from the employer.

purchasing or maintaining work uniforms.

Why are you posting policies from a U.S. website which obviously wouldn't apply here?
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2011 at 10:00AM
    Options
    Are all KFCs owned by KFC, or are many of them franchises?

I know that silver service waiters/waitresses in hotels/function rooms have to provide their own "black and whites".

All the KFC in Ireland are owned by one person. Most of the Ireland and UK franchises (around 80 the biggest in Europe) are owned by property mogul Michael Herbert.

You may have noticed the massive advertising billboard on the old maxol site in the middle of belfast talking about a "fit" lesely. I think that was the wife.
  • hazelc56
    hazelc56 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    D.A. wrote: »
    Why are you posting policies from a U.S. website which obviously wouldn't apply here?
    because i found it on ehow.co.UK and i was trying to be helpful to the OP if thats ok by you.:(
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hazelc56 wrote: »
    because i found it on ehow.co.UK and i was trying to be helpful to the OP if thats ok by you.:(

Fair enough! Bizarre why ehow would put something that refers to "federal law" and "state law" on their UK website. They obviously don't check. :-)
  • hazelc56
    Options
    D.A. wrote: »
    Fair enough! Bizarre why ehow would put something that refers to "federal law" and "state law" on their UK website. They obviously don't check. :-)
    Exactly what i thought too D.A.I did actually google for the UK site and thats what came up so i thought it might be ok.Anyhow it was really only so the OP could go and have a look for for him/herself.I tried to find something more suitable but could not.I am sure there is something more relevant for the OP but i just couldnt find it.
  • hazelc56
    Options
    x12yhp wrote: »
    Holy thread revival! I suspect this is way way way out of date guys.
    Thanks x12yhp i am going to have to be a bit more observant.I only just realised the date on this thread.:rotfl:Needs specs to see out of these specs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport