Paying for a uniform - KFC?

Options
I know someone who's got a job working in KFC. They've been told they will have to pay for their own uniform (2 shirts, 2 trousers) at a cost of £100 which will be deducted from their wages. On minimum wage working part time surely this will mean they'll get paid nothing for weeks.

Is this right? I'm not even sure whether they will get any of the money back when they leave.

It seems very unfair and very expensive for someone who's only trying to get a bit of extra money to help while they are studying.

Any opinions?
Norn Iron Club Member 330 ;)

Comments

• cooki2222
    Options
    god who makes the uniform? tm lewis or something???

thats very dear for a uniform.

They can claim the £100 back i believe or get a uniform allowance from their employer not 100% but remember reading somewhere.
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the uniforms are specific to the job, which I'm sure KFC ones will be plastered with the colonel and logos etc..... the employer has to supply them free of charge.

I worked in Miccy D's for a weekend a long time ago and got free uniform and hat etc.... trousers where supplied by myself as bog standard black ones required;)

Still have the polo shirt, apron and hat if anyone wants to buy them:rotfl:
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • seatzie
    seatzie Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    steveymp wrote: »

send us all a pic of you wearing them and we'll see whats worth buying lol :rotfl:
    Norn Iron Club Member #64

Wikkity Wikkity Wikkity Lets go racing!
  • jenny-wren
    Options
    Do any MSE forum users know anybody who's worked for KFC and can tell me if this is true i.e. are staff really expected to pay £100 for their uniform?

I've tried to check KFC's recruitment information but I can't find anything.

Cheers
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    seatzie wrote: »
    send us all a pic of you wearing them and we'll see whats worth buying lol :rotfl:

Children read this forum:eek:

wouldn't want to scare anyone:rotfl: it was quiet a few years ago, don't think it will fit me still:rotfl:
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    This thread, specifically post 4, on the consumer action group forum might help. It also mentions, which I was about to add, that you can claim laundry expenses for washing your own uniform.

HTH
  • Golden_Anemone
    Options
    steveymp wrote: »
    If the uniforms are specific to the job, which I'm sure KFC ones will be plastered with the colonel and logos etc..... the employer has to supply them free of charge.

I worked in Miccy D's for a weekend a long time ago and got free uniform and hat etc.... trousers where supplied by myself as bog standard black ones required;)

How long ago was this? My son worked in McDonalds for a couple of months last year and had to contribute to the cost of his uniform. It wasn't anything like £100 - from memory I think it was nearer £30 and was taken back from wages at £10 per week until paid.
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,003 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Because KFCs are franchises, maybe each owner has a different way of ripping off staff. Which KFC is it so we know who the rip-off merchant is.

EDIT: What is it about these arrogant companies that they give you no way of contacting them?
  • jenny-wren
    Options
    Castle Court
  • DavidHob
    Options
    I am a manager at KFC and the only time you have to pay for the uniform is if you leave the business within your probationary period. And even then it is £40 not £100. Wether you pay or not is totally manager specific. I have never known anybody pay for uniform!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure