🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Paying for a uniform - KFC?

Options

Comments

• getzls
    getzls Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are on the minumum wage and they deduct money from your wage that then puts you under the min. wage, without me doing the research on this, i believe this is illegal.:question:
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought £40 was nothing to Michael Herbert with a worth of £150 million. Instead of robbing people on minimum wage he could spend some of his not inconsiderable fried chicken fortune giving his minimum wage workers the benefit of the doubt.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    getzls wrote: »
    If you are on the minumum wage and they deduct money from your wage that then puts you under the min. wage, without me doing the research on this, i believe this is illegal.:question:

You might want to read DavidHob's post above and then maybe retract this?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    I would have thought £40 was nothing to Michael Herbert with a worth of £150 million. Instead of robbing people on minimum wage he could spend some of his not inconsiderable fried chicken fortune giving his minimum wage workers the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe if you got off your soapbox and read the DavidHob's comment then you wouldnt get yourself so worked up?
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2011 at 9:28AM
    Options
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    Maybe if you got off your soapbox and read the DavidHob's comment then you wouldnt get yourself so worked up?

No Paul I think I got it thank you. These unfortunates would have to pay £40.00 if they left within an arbitrary probation period. Considering these jobs are most likely minimum wage I would think it reasonably that if I was offered a job 10p over the minimum wage I could leave without the worry of it costing me a day’s wages. I thought it reasonable that property mogul Michael Herbert would take this “hit” for me. Considering this £40 uniform tax would be a day’s wages to a minimum wage worker but nothing (can be written off) to a company like this.

When did it become unreasonable to expect an employer to provide a uniform without attaching caveats?
  • getzls
    getzls Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    You might want to read DavidHob's post above and then maybe retract this?

What is there to retract? My post was about every employer and not just KFC. I worked for a security firm that tried and failed to deduct from our min. wage earnings. They stopped when the Union got involved and i believe it was for the reason i have posted.
  • hazelc56
    hazelc56 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    How sickening to think that a giant such as KFC can extort their employees like this..Its disgusting.
  • jenny-wren
    Options
    It was a foreign student that I know that was working for KFC to make ends meet while studying for his A-levels.

Thankfully he saw sense in the end after being treated really badly and told them to stick their job where the sun didn't shine!!
    Norn Iron Club Member 330 ;)
  • happy_gardener
    Options
    Is there not some sort of legal thing....where the employer has to provide equipment to od the job. As uniform is a food hygiene thing, then the hat/top/apron etc should be a legal requirement when working with food. I wonder whether Envi Health would be able to tell you and then whether there is anything under employment law about this.
    :beer:
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    Holy thread revival! I suspect this is way way way out of date guys.
    Always overestimating...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family