just rang my GP, £5 each, not bad i think,

Sounds like a bargin! Good one :beer:
  • piglet74
    piglet74 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a bargin! Good one :beer:

i was expecting it to be more myself,

i should have said, i live in NI, and its an Irish Passport, so maybe not the same volume of info required?
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    My GPs are lovely and will sign medical forms and letters for my disabled DD for nothing and at very short notice. Today I brought one in to the surgery at 9.30 and it was completed and signed by 10 to enable her to access some leisure activities in the school holiday.

If I was asking for a form to be signed for a child for commercial gain though, I would expect to pay for that, and quite a lot too. It's got nothing to do with the wellbeing of either the child or the extended family, clearly doesn't come under the NHS contract, and is going to make money for the parents. Why wouldn't or shouldn't it be charged for?
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just to add to this, I called my surgery today and asked how much it would be for a letter to basically just confirm I had a certain medical disorder so I could get a discount on private treatment for one of the side effects, I was told £26.50, just for them to look, go "yep that's right" and type a quick letter. I said forget it and called another branch of the practice who have insisted I make an appointment (?!), why I have no idea, it seems a total waste of the doctor's time!

Oh well, we shall see what happens, either way it seems a huge amount of money for them to just look at my records and run off a quick letter to the clinic, they won't even have to send it for heaven's sake! :mad:
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I paid £10 for 2 letters from my Dr a few weeks ago, I thought it worth the money. Then I asked for a letter for something else & they tried to charge me £25! :eek: I didn't take the letter or pay & I'm not sure I'm going to either :( I suppose I should've asked the price first as I just assumed that it would be £5-£10 again.
  • Millie2008_2
    Millie2008_2 Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine charge between £20 and £30, although my lovely (sadly retired) old GP was known to grab a bit of headed notepaper, scribble (literally) something out in the appt and hand it to you, for no charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure