How much for a doctors letter?

Options

Comments

• Glamazon
    Glamazon Posts: 8,401 Forumite
    Options
    hillards

In this instance, I wouldn't charge a patient but the organisation I work for would (I managed the practice so what they didn't know didn't hurt ;))

You may find you get a better response if u take the letter into your GP during your next appt and ask him/her to sign it for you 'while you are there'. I would certainly ask the receptionists though - the organisation I work for will charge for anything and everything but there are a lot of 'old school' GP's out there who put the patients before profit.

HTH
    A very busy Yummy Mummy to a 1 year old gorgeous boy :smileyhea

Where does the time go? :think:
  • alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options
    i had to get a letter from my doctor to say that my ds could go to nursery with conjunctivitis (sp?) she did it for me there and then in that appointment. maybe its cos i asked niceley, who knows?!
  • Hillards
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

What I have decided to do is to explain why I am applying for the travel permit on the grounds of disability and that I am asking him to verify my condition. I have quickly explained that we are in financial difficulties and that we have satisfied the NHS conditions to obtain a HC2 certificate already.

I have said, quite simply, that I used to walk to the surgery in about 25 minutes, it's just over a mile. Now I need to catch two buses, one into town and one back out, to get there as I tried to walk once, a few months ago, and it took me almost 2 hours with having to stop to get my breath back. I was despatched to hospital that day as I was in such a bad state when I eventually got to the surgery.

The above is in a letter I will drop in to the surgery later today (Tues) as I also need to report some side effects to new medication I'm taking and writing those down is easier than trying to remember when I go see him, which could be a week or more in getting an appointment etc.

If he is happy to sign the application then I can take that with me on my next visit.

Thanks again.
  • RumanaB
    RumanaB Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    I had to get a letter from my doctor for work & he didn't charge anything for it....I think it depends on which doctor's surgery you're with. Most of the people I work with said that they get charged about £30.
  • funguy
    funguy Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Basically filling in or signing letters/forms is not related to ability to pay or disability. The Government made up lists of what they felt the NHS should pay for and what they shouldnt pay for. It wasnt and still isnt up to GPs about what the NHS will cover.

Anything that isnt covered by the NHS, the GP surgery (being a private business) will have to charge for. Now, some GPs will sign things and do some forms etc for free but this is at their own discretion as they will be the ones loosing the time and money! Its the same as going to an accountant or a lawyer and asking them to sign to verify something - most wouldnt do that for free either! So, if your GP does do it for free, i would say a big thank you!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 September 2009 at 8:38PM
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Which AD's prevent you from holding a driving licence? :confused:
    any that might make her drowsy? I'm on trazadone which i take at night but it usually leaves me drowsy throughout the day/affects my concentration if it has any lasting affects and they were to drive under those effects and have an accident it would be treated the same as drug-driving, there is no distinction between prescription drugs and illegal drugs. plus depending on the severity a period of 6 months symtom free would be required to drive anyway.

donnydiva-is that a form for a disabled bus pass? think its a similar thing here, doctor has to complete form saying if i would be able to drive etc
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Options
    Does anyone know if completing DVLA medical forms come under NHS or private?
    Thanks
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • sassy_manc
    Options
    I have been trying to obtain a passport for my brother who has severe learning disabilities. It's his first application and I have been told that he needs a doctor's letter to 'prove' his disability so that he doesn't have to attend the interview part. I have check with his doctors, who say there will be a charge, but they didn't know how much and that I would have to put the request for a letter in writing and then it will go in a box of requests that get's looked at once a week. No guarantee that your's will be one of the requests dealt with, so it may take several weeks for it to get done.

Now I have a couple of issues with this. First off, if I am paying for a service then I expect to get a service and not have to wait several weeks for it, but that aside I have a real issue with disabled people having to pay to get a letter to prove their disability.

I phoned the passport office back and asked to cancel the request not to attend an interview as it will be far cheaper and easier to take him even though he won't understand any of what is going on. They have said in that case he will fail it and that I have no choice but to get the letter from the doctor. It can't be from social or care workers, proof of benefit isn't enough and he can't attend an interview, meaning that he has to, in effect pay extra in order to get a passport because he is disabled and unable to understand the process.

Apologies for ranting, but I am really furious about this and feel that it is discriminatory to disabled people who in effect have to pay extra to get a passport.
  • funguy
    funguy Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most GPs will do all the forms/reports requested within a couple of weeks....they do have patients to see too....doing more reports means less patients get seen and vice versa....

You cannot discriminate for charges between age, sex or disability so everyone either pays for certain reports/letters or dont pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure