How much for a doctors letter?

Options

Comments

• dazzoone
    dazzoone Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    are doctors allowed to charge people on benefits for letters, and cab i ask for a vat reciept and try to claim the money back off the dwp??.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends what the letter is for. If the DWP require info they will normally ask for it direct, which won't incur any cost to you.
  • itsme353
    Options
    Well you could say that the work of a doctor is very very hard and complicated, therefore they can charge Joe Blogs who just happens to be a poor road sweeper who lost his wage through no fault of his own £73 for writing 2 sentences confirming it, but that would not be a very intelligent argument to make.

I was charged £20 or a letter simply copying what was in my personal records, as I could see them for free, but it cost £50 to print them, and £20 for a couple of sentences summarising them.

My Doctor has a Mercedes limo/extra long car with personalised registration plate. Anyone who can throw away such an amount of money does not need to charge me, who works for min wage, £20 for doing their job.

Doctors letters have existed as long as Doctors have. It is the unfortunate, sick and who have been hit financially who need them, they usually take 5 mins to write, I know as I occasionally volunteer as a legal advisor, and write such letter regulalry. It is not a huge undertaking to click the mouse and type the name of a client on an electronic register. It is not a huge endeavour to summarise the smae medical jargon done time and again on a dialy basis for years.

It is a significant burden on those who need those letters yet get charged half a days labour for it when they have already lost far more working hours through being unfortunate enough to need the doctors help to kep their job.

It is unfortunate that the money grabbers have found yet another avenue of need to extort significant sums form those less fortunate and ill.

When my doctor drives a personalised limo I want it to be for exceptional exertions and efforts to better the local population far beyond the efforts of those that work every day all day for min wage, not for exceptional exertions in procuring the money of the sick and lowly paid to their own pockets.
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    My GP has a nice car too but he is in the surgery before 8am every day doesn't leave before 6pm and does a late night surgery until 8pm once a week. He also does home visits and calls out of surgery hours and when he has the time he sits in on the new patient reference group to contribute.

On Monday morning I had to go have a fasting blood test. at my local hospital. Although there were more than 6 nurses hanging about chatting, none of them would do the blood test saying the system had changed and I would have to wait for the phlebotomy clinic to start and ask for an appointment. I have diabetes and after 13 hrs without food felt unwell but they didn't care.

Went to my surgery before GPs started seeing patients and my GP did my blood tests himself which was really above and beyond what he needs to do for me.

I think there are lots of nice GPs but many really stroppy receptionists out there so your best bet is asking GP for a signature during a routine appointment.
  • across
    across Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Options
    i am so disgusted at the dr in my surgery they even charge children for a letter at £15. My daughters need letters every 6 mths if they do any work(tv/commercial) for the performance license and the dr gladly charges £15 a letter for 7 yr old its a disgrace there should be laws as they dont earn that much to pay £15 a letter what adds injury to insult is some drs will do it for free its personal choice i dont think thats right at all and about times laws were made especially when children are involved the dr doesnt even type it up anyway his secretary does in her normal working hours after he obviously dictophones it through so i think the dr should feel ashamed he doesnt even have to do much theres not even time for an appointment to see the kids as they say we are too busy so what we paying for!lol
  • piglet74
    piglet74 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know how much a Doctor would charge for signing / witnessing a passport form?
  • BarneyRubble
    Options
    across wrote: »
    i am so disgusted at the dr in my surgery they even charge children for a letter at £15. My daughters need letters every 6 mths if they do any work(tv/commercial) for the performance license and the dr gladly charges £15 a letter for 7 yr old its a disgrace there should be laws as they dont earn that much to pay £15 a letter what adds injury to insult is some drs will do it for free its personal choice i dont think thats right at all and about times laws were made especially when children are involved the dr doesnt even type it up anyway his secretary does in her normal working hours after he obviously dictophones it through so i think the dr should feel ashamed he doesnt even have to do much theres not even time for an appointment to see the kids as they say we are too busy so what we paying for!lol

This is a staggering example of the righteous entitlement that healthcare workers find themselves up against! It's amazing.

So that you can earn a few quid from your children, you expect busy Drs to write them a letter a couple of times a year so they can be on the telly!

That has nothing to do with their health, nothing to do with the NHS and if I were a Dr I'd charge 10 times that just so that pushy flippin' parents wouldn't ask me again! :p

Hopefully though, if reading scripts, the kids will have a bettter understanding of full stops and capital letters.
  • BarneyRubble
    Options
    piglet74 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much a Doctor would charge for signing / witnessing a passport form?

Because signing a passport form now requires quite a lot of personal information (Like the signers own passport number) many Drs are now simply refusing to sign these at all.
  • piglet74
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    (Like the signers own passport number) many Drs are now simply refusing to sign these at all.

this isnt requested on the form?

i will phone later and ask, thanks ;)

i can see why they might refuse tho,
  • piglet74
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just rang my GP, £5 each, not bad i think,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories