How much for a doctors letter?

Options

Comments

• Glamazon wrote: »
    Even if a form just needs a signature because a patient has filled it out, the GP still has to check all the information against the medical records to ensure that what he/she is signing their name against is correct.

I hope they spend more time checking the letters they sign than the prescriptions they sign - but then they don't have me to check their letters :rotfl:
  • SparkyG
    SparkyG Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope they spend more time checking the letters they sign than the prescriptions they sign - but then they don't have me to check their letters :rotfl:

Absolutely:beer: Last week requested a regular repeat prescription from my GP for fluoxetine to be collected at my local chemist, and when I got home and opened the bag it was fluconazole:eek: . When I went back to the surgery to point out the mistake, no apology from the receptionist (yes, I know it wasn't her mistake:rolleyes: but by my way of thinking frontline staff should have to apologise on behalf of others), told to sit and wait:mad: , then 15 minutes later was given the correct prescription so had to start all over again at the chemist. Would have liked a 'terribly sorry to have inconvenienced you' but no chance!!:p

Well, I am just the patient.... and a very patient patient too:D
    :beer: My glass is half full :beer:
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    donnydiva wrote: »
    Just an inquiry re: medical letter costs

Is it a flat fee regardless of your income? I ask because I am on £60.50 income support, and signed off sick with depression/anxiety from my doctor. Whether a letter would cost £12 or more, its a chunk out of such a little income.

All I need is something verifying my health condition, no great detail or anything? It seems very harsh if you get charged the same regardless of being on £60.50 or £200+ a week :confused:

I appreciate the comments made re: extra work for GP's, but surely a brief note of a few sentences doesnt merit a £12 fee??

If your GP is signing you off as sick then thats FREE. You are NHS and if hes NHS and following NHS guidelines and signing you off after your 7 days self certificate then there is no charge to you.

Now if you are asking him to write letters then he can charge you whatever he wants as thats not part of NHS work. But an employer or in this case the DWP will only want the sick certificate which is FREE and can not be charged for iif issued as per guidelines
  • donnydiva
    Options
    follow up to my original post....

Inquired yesterday at doctors whether they would charge a fee, and they said yes. When I asked how much, I was told "they charge £20 just for a signature"!!

Surely there should be some leeway when on £60.50, its a third of my weekly income!!

when I seemed shocked, the receptionist did say I could bring the relevant form in, and the doctor could look it and see what he could do.

I had already asked for a ring back for an appointment, so I am due to see him on Friday afternoon, so I shall take the form then and see what he thinks.

I asked a friend today and at her surgery she gets charged nothing - mind you she said she doesnt ask the receptionist, but goes straight to the doctor, so we shall see.......

in reply to you suki1964, its not to be signed off sick, but a form where you need to tick the condition you have, one of those being that you would have been/would be, refused a driving licence because of your medical condition, due to medication you are taking (in my case anti depressants)
  • LillyJ
    LillyJ Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Options
    Just an inquiry re: medical letter costs

Is it a flat fee regardless of your income? I ask because I am on £60.50 income support, and signed off sick with depression/anxiety from my doctor. Whether a letter would cost £12 or more, its a chunk out of such a little income.

All I need is something verifying my health condition, no great detail or anything? It seems very harsh if you get charged the same regardless of being on £60.50 or £200+ a week :confused:

I appreciate the comments made re: extra work for GP's, but surely a brief note of a few sentences doesnt merit a £12 fee??

It's not NHS work, and it's not means tested. It's a private service. You don't get clothes cheaper in Top Shop because you earn less. Harsh as it may seem.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    in reply to you suki1964, its not to be signed off sick, but a form where you need to tick the condition you have, one of those being that you would have been/would be, refused a driving licence because of your medical condition, due to medication you are taking (in my case anti depressants)

Which AD's prevent you from holding a driving licence? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    LillyJ wrote: »
    It's not NHS work, and it's not means tested. It's a private service. You don't get clothes cheaper in Top Shop because you earn less. Harsh as it may seem.

But you can choose only to buy your clothes in a charity shop or Tesco instead at a much cheaper rate. With a doctor's letter, only a doctor can do it (and in many cases only a GP at the surgery you are registered with). As it is a monopoly situation, the charges should reflect the fact that those on benefits or very low incomes may need a discretionary fee.
  • Glamazon
    Glamazon Posts: 8,401 Forumite
    Options

I agree - very often feel like slipping in a few Mickey Mouse scripts just to see if they actually check what they are signing!!!!
    A very busy Yummy Mummy to a 1 year old gorgeous boy :smileyhea

Where does the time go? :think:
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    But you can choose only to buy your clothes in a charity shop or Tesco instead at a much cheaper rate. With a doctor's letter, only a doctor can do it (and in many cases only a GP at the surgery you are registered with). As it is a monopoly situation, the charges should reflect the fact that those on benefits or very low incomes may need a discretionary fee.

The OP was charged £30 for the Drs letter. This is far cheaper than a solicitor would charge for a letter.

I would say that was a discretionary fee.

We have since seen on this thread people being charged a lot more for forms etc for PRIVATE insurance forms, or various claim forms. These are often NOT essential, or reclaimable, or owned by people who could afford a proper profesional rate for the work involved.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Id be very surprised if you would be charged for this if its a benefit required form.

GPS charge for work outside their NHS remit. To me (and I admit Ive been out of the NHS a while now) this sounds like NHS work and therefore wouldnt be charged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure