No 1p coins for change?

Has anyone had the experience of not being given the correct change because the shop has run out of 1p coins

This has happened to me several times and each time I get more exasperated by the attitude of the innumerate checkout monkey behind the counter!

The first time was when I was due #.#6p in change, but I was only given #.#5p. When I challanged this the chimp said that they had run out and that it was only 1p. It had obviously never occured to him to give me 3 x  2p coins! He managed to get a 1p coin from the next till (why hadn't he done this sooner  ???) which I promptly put in the charity tin on the counter (much to his annoyance  ;D)

The most recent time was today when I was given my change (minus 1p) and the girl said "sorry, we've run out of 1p's"

Now don't get me wrong in thinking that I'm a real miser... it's just that why do these people assume that their customers should suffer due to a failing by the company?

Also, anyone with a basic understanding of maths (or language for that matter) would be able to calculate a different combination of coins to produce the same amount.

The above cases involved multi-national companies so it makes me wonder what ideals, morals and skills they require in their staff!
Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    i dont mind when they tell me theyve run out of 1ps
    i just point out to them that id be happy to accept 2pence from them instead, they look at me like ive gone mad, but tell them they are about to breach contract by charging you more than they had agreed to take for the article in question, at this point you can ask to speak to the manager and you may be given a gift voucher to say sorry
  • At my workplace if we run out of 1p coins we'll give the customer 2ps or 5ps to give them their change, even if it means our tills being down.

Shame not everyone is like that......
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
    Giddy up old fella cos the moon is yellow tonight,
    Giddy up old fella cos the moon is mellow and bright,
    There’s a coyote crying at the moon above,
    Carry me back to the one I love,
    And you old faithful pal of mine.
  • Aye. If the price says £9.99 then it's £9.99 not £10. Personally I would rather it was £10 cos the 99p business is daft. But I'm not gonna pay £10 out of principle. It iritates me when assistants just say "sorry we've run out of 1ps" expecting you to say "that's OK".
  • I've noticed a few places with American style "penny cups" on the counter. Sometimes you take a penny, sometimes you leave one...
  • I read that some petrol stations are introducing this penny cup idea. Always annoying when your squeezing the last bit of petrol from the pump and the price counter mischieviously flips to £10.01.

Makes no difference of course if you pay using credit or debit card.
    177.9K Posts
    Community Admin
    yeh the penny at petrol station idea is good. i had it where i got £10 exactly in it...shook the nozzle to get rid of ne drips and the meter went up by a penny....wasnt gonna pay 4 that but they had a penny dish so it worked out ok. what really annoyed me once is that i was tryin to catch a bus and i only had a £5 note on me...he wouldnt take it as it was a too high a currency (did not say anything bout havin change for it which i expect he did) and wouldnt let me on the bus. in the end i had to walk home 4miles. i complained and got a free bus pass (woohoo)
  • We should all move to Italy. If the due change is considered insignificant (they do the considering) you get some sweeties. You have to laugh - well I do anyway.
    177.9K Posts
    Community Admin
    I paid the exact money in a supermarket, a £1 coin and a 20p, for a £1.20 bill and was given 80p change ;D

I was going to say something, but from experience I know it takes them forever to sort out any mistake and I was in a hurry so I just took the cash. When I checked the receipt, I found out the assisstant had thought I'd paid £2.

Another time the bill was just over a pound and I gave the assisstant a 50p and three 20p pieces and she spent ages puzzling over how much exactly I'd given her. I don't think she could add it up in her head :o
  • I was in a pub in Jersey some years ago - Quids Inn - where all the drinks are 99p (although you pay to get in :-/). I bought a drink with a £1 note (they still have them there :)) and waited for my change. The barmaid said, "You gave me a £1 note didn't you?", to which I replied, "Yes" and she walked off. I would have said to keep the change or put it in the charity box, but I would at least have liked to have been offered. Why not change the price list to make all the drinks a pound?

As for buses not giving change - you should try Travel West Midlands - they don't give any at all! Before the last fare increase, the prices were 95p for adults and 47p for children. Of course, we all have this sort of change in our pockets...
  • FranFran Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As for buses not giving change - you should try Travel West Midlands - they don't give any at all! Before the last fare increase, the prices were 95p for adults and 47p for children. Of course, we all have this sort of change in our pockets...

In Cardiff you don't get change either. If you live there and don't often catch buses you haven't a clue how much change you should have. Also visitors to the capital of Wales must find it a joke. You can get a note off the driver for the overpayment that you might make, and get it back , - but it will probably cost you more than the change to get into town to pick it up! :-/
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals